• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seasonings

This is a question for reinhard 1. Have done alot of smoking venison sausage using the kits. Want to try new things. Received a cat from PS Seasoning /Spices. They have a large selection but I have never tried doing it on my own. If you have a chance to look will any of their seasoning's with smoking and what else will have to buy - cure casings and so on. Will be making summer sausage so will any of their seasoning work.

Thanks

Get a good book on sausage making. It will have all the measurements and types of seasoning laid out for you. You will save a little over buying the kits... but the real beauty lies in the ability to adjust the taste to your liking ...

good Luck on your endeavor... I started doing more and more 'from scratch' sausage every year.

Good Luck!

Ken

Get a good book on sausage making. It will have all the measurements and types of seasoning laid out for you. You will save a little over buying the kits... but the real beauty lies in the ability to adjust the taste to your liking ...

good Luck on your endeavor... I started doing more and more 'from scratch' sausage every year.

Hey Labs I think you you got my idea. I think the question I had is it possible to use any season to make summer sausage or is there something in the summer sausage pre-mixed kits that is required that other seasoning do not have.

Good Luck!

Ken

i think there are a number of places on line that sell seasonings and kits. if it's just the seasoning for summer sausage for example check and see if there is a cure that comes with it. you need a cure. kits usualy have a cure along with the seasoning. check before you order.

seasonings and kits that i have seen usualy dont have dried powdered milk in them. i use 1 cup of dried milk per 5 pounds of meat mix in fresh and smoked sausage. also for summer sausage you should have non edible fibrous casings that come in a variety of casings.

in a smoker or an oven i put a meat thermometer in the end of one of the finished tubes right down the center. i put the temp at 225 and wait till the internal temp is 165 deg. as soon as done i give the tubes an ice bath [cold water] until the tubes cool down some [usualy 10 min or so] and then hang them to dry. then i vacume seal or freezer wrap them and put them in the freezer. any other questions just ask. good luck.