• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shrub Trimming

Dave

When's the best time of year to trim this type of shrub?

full-3704-24699-100_79601.jpg

The only time I've trimmed it was years ago and a lot of it turned brown. I think I did it during summer crazy Didn't know any better to ask before I did something I know nothing about. Thanks.

Can't really tell from the pic what it is, yew or some type of juniper, regardless, best to prune evergreens in late spring early summer, similar to the Thuja thread, when the new growth starts to come out. It will defiantly be discernible, will be lighter green or even bluish in the case with some junipers. When the plants are small you can really go to town on them, but as they age, best to stick with shaping by just pruning the new growth. Those still look small enough to give a decent cut, again, in juneish, without causing dead spots.

I agree. Those look like some yews we used to have on the north side of the house where they did well in partial shade. Once they're shaped initially, they're fairly easy to take the hedge trimmer or shears to over the course of their lifespan. They should thicken up to the point where they'll make excellent places for birds to hide and nest too. smile