• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trapping Question

Looking at possibly putting a few traps out for the first time this fall. Mainly for Fisher/Pine Marten. I live in a great area for trapping and I thought why not it would be fun. I do not own any traps and I see the preferred method would be building boxes with conibear's. Is my best bet to buy 220's? If so I see a few different manufactures online and Victor look to be more expensive then the others. Is it worth spending the money on Victor or buying a different brand. Thanks for any help!

220's are a great option for fisher and marten. While using these traps, this year has new regulations so make shure to be in compliance. I would recomend to look into Belisle they make a great trap. If price is a concern I've taken alot of fur in Duke's and personally think that quality on the dukes is much better than the older ones. Good luck!

I would go for 160's- they let you get around all the reg's with the 220's plus plenty big for fisher and not to big for marten, but i would go with 120's or the 150's for them.

Belise are top quality. If you only plan on fisher/marten you are in for a short season, they shortened the season again so its like 5 days now I believe.

Thanks for the help guys. Traps have been ordered along with copper tags. A buddy gave me some nice square buckets for the 220's and I plan on using milk jugs for the 120's I ordered. Beaver for bait, gusto for lure. Anything else that I'm missing that is a must have? Thanks again for the help!!

HunterLee, I plan on doing a little bird hunting here soon. Is there anything specific I should look for when scouting for a good area? Areas maybe that will be more productive then others. It really helps getting info from guys that know what there doing. Thanks again for all the help!

Don't have marten where I am at, but i do know they prefer old timber conifer trees. Fisher are more my type and I use natural pinch points to funnel them to me. Usually around creeks, swamps and they tend to hang out in marten areas to from what I understand.

Best time to me for scouting is winter when you see tracks, they will be there again the next year. Use the wind to get your scent out there.

I run 220s simply because I also use those same traps for Otter, cats, martin, fisher and raccoon good all-around trap to own other than the new regs. A 160 is a nice replacement to get around the regs and I am trying a few Minnesota Brand 160’s with the hardwood step pan instead iof the old wire triggers. As for makes I have the Belisle, Victor, Dukes and a few Bridgers and I very pleased with the Belisle and the Duke and not so much with the Bridgers. Something that makes running pole sets a real breeze is the anchor cleats you nail to the pole. Super fast anc they hold a trap solid.

Another set that many have forgotten in the ground cubby using a good #2 coil such as a victor professional or the Duke #2 with the big pan. Simple cubby made from natural bows and the trap placed offset to one side and the entry.

For locations; when the conifers feel dark and creepy, that’s a good spot.

Well the new traps are here. I ran them through the dish washer a couple of times and they are now outside in the woods rusting. Not sure why guys do this to brand new traps, but an old trapper told me to do it, so I'm doing it. After a couple weeks outside they are going in Speed dip. Does the dip stick better to rusty traps?

WAY better! If you do not let your traps rust up a bit the die will not take. To speed it up you can mix a little vinagar and water in spray bottle and give them a light misting. Just rewash and dry the traps before you dip to remove the loose rust dust.

I just used speed dip for the first time. I highly recommend using 1.5 gallons of coleman camp fuel instead of just 1gallon. I did 2 doezen 1.5coils with the first batch and it was too thick. It is tacky 3 days later still. I thinned it out with more camp fuel and did 3 dozen 110's 1 dozen 120's and 1 doz 160's, and they all look great. Not nearly as shiny as the coils, and it there isnt excess dye sitting on the trap... If yours traps do turn out tacky after a couple days and really shiny, rub them in dirt. It dulls the sheen and takes the tackiness away... Good luck