• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To snell or not to snell

Mr Special

lately ive been using a snell knot on my C-hooks esp the ones with the angled eye.

ive often been told but some credible peeps that it helps rotate and dig the C-hooks point home.

However, i've had a few knots break on big fish and im wondering if the knot is gettin broken due to the nothced edge part on the backside of the eye of the hook?

just wondering on your opionions or what Pro's/Con's, we mite wanna consider one knot vs another.

Thanks in advance gang

From way back when, when we use to be able to use salmon eggs for kings in AK I was taught to egg loop (snell) hooks with bent eyes and continue to do so with mono and braid on cat hooks with bent eyes. If you don't, you are taking pressure AWAY from the point of penetration and not how they are designed. If you snell correctly on a bent eye hook the line usually breaks before anywhere near the knot. If you think that the line is being pinched in that gap then I'd say it's a problem with those hooks or something you are doing with your knot. I'd look at that first because it shouldn't be happening there.

Alagnak How do you tie the loop with the braid? I have had it slip on me before so I must not be tieing it properly.

Special your line may also be breaking from the friction heat caused by pulling the line tight when making the snell I had this problem when I used to run Mono so I lubricated it with reel magic and I had way less problems with line breakage.

Since I have went to super braid I have not had these issues. 2c

I tie my snell/egg loop the same with braid as mono. Gordie you know better! You always gotta use lube or spit man! I don't like any dry friction.

Alagnak How do you tie the loop with the braid? I have had it slip on me before so I must not be tieing it properly.

Special your line may also be breaking from the friction heat caused by pulling the line tight when making the snell I had this problem when I used to run Mono so I lubricated it with reel magic and I had way less problems with line breakage.

Since I have went to super braid I have not had these issues. 2c