• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what paint to use on the floor of my wheelhouse

heyguy

I've done bedliner in a few houses. It works good for scooping up snow and slush, but is tough to actually clean due to the texture. I would look more at epoxy garage floor coating or the rubber 'g floor', if I were to do something besides carpet.

My new house is getting a high quality pontoon carpet. The houses I've been in with carpet just seem warmer.

do you have a good lead on where to get some pontoon carpet? easy to install? do you just put it all down and then go back and cut around the holes with a utility knife? maybe carpet would be the way to go. are there any draw backs of it?

Like everything there are pros and cons. Carpet will get wet, it may absorb fish slime, hooks will get caught, etc.

I got mine from a place online called boat carpet central. For a 8x25 piece it was like $235 shipped.

My plan is to cut it roughly to fit before the inside is finished, and then take it out until the house is done. Then I'll staple it around the edges (under the trim), and use the catch covers to help hold it down as well.

I just painted the floor of my suitcase-style portable because the floor got so darn slippery under the right conditions. I used an anti-slip (sand) additive that is added to paint. A bag that was enough for 1 gallon of paint was about $3 at the M store. I used just standard exterior latex paint because it was what I had. I am very pleased with the result, time will tell how well it holds up.

I should add that I used indoor/outdoor carpet once on a small fish house years ago and hated it. It was always wet and slimey, if I dropped something small, it was hard to find in poor light and hooks would catch in it. I tried it for 1 season and tore it out.

I forgot to include a pic of the Herculiner in my other posts. Here is one from my last house:

P1010131.jpg

I didn't realize that Herculiner offered a Gray kit (among other colors). Knowing that, I would definitely re-consider. It was impossible to make the black look clean, even though it was washed and vacuumed.

Lowe's has a product called deck restore.

It is a water based paint that has tiny sand pieces in it and rolls on with a porous roller. It creates a tough (epoxy like) finish that is anti slip. It is made to roll on thick over old deck boards to protect them. I used it to do my deck posts and header board to give it a unique stucco like finish.

Would do good for a fish house floor too, just use a less porous roller for a less abrasive finish.

Many different colors. $20/gal