• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which *used* chip for Humminbird 587 - Lakemaster or Navionics?

Mistermojo

Question

I just picked up a new 587 CI DI and since I blew most of my budget on the unit, I am looking for a cheaper chip instead of the $120+ for new. I see some Lakemaster v.1 chips for 60-$75 range, and Navionics are not much more. Which chip is regarded as better, and why?

I mainly fish metro lakes, with the occasional trip to Mille Lacs, Leech, and Big Sandy.

Thanks,

Mojo

12 answers to this question

when i bought my 597 last fall i also purchased a navionics for 4 reasons in order of importance to me 1. on sale (80) 2. LM all out 3. had my backyard lakes on it 4. Navionics is more regional with several states as opposed to LM being a single state specific at that time

My experience running the 2 cards side by side is limited to Lake of The Woods, both are pretty accurate from what I've seen. I have the Navionics card in a 798c SI and the Lakemaster in a Garmin GPS.

Does the 587 have the capabilities to take advantage of the extra features of the Humminbird / Lakemaster card? If so, it might be worth the extra money if you can take advantage of those features.

Mike

It is lake dependant. I have both Lakemaster and Navionics on an HDS. LM is better on some lakes, Navionics is better on others.

Examples that I've found this year.

LM is better on Mille Lacs

Navionics is better on Vermilion

Navionics is better on Spring (Scott Co)

Maybe we should compile a list. lightbulb.gif

It's not the 3' v 1' contours as much as the accuracy of the detail. I find the Navionics on V is more accurate and shows more detail. Details that are mssing on LM. There was a thread on the chips in the Vermilion forum a while back. I had the LM chip first and picked up the Navionics chip a year later on recommendation to use it on V.

The opposite is true on ML. Navionics has high(er?) contour on ML but LM is more accurate while displaying fewer contour lines.

So really it sounds like either would be fine - just depends on the lake itself. I would not be fishing Vermillion, but Mille Lacs is an easy day trip for me. I have the Navionics app for my phone for ice fishing and it's OK, nothing that's "wow" about it. Better than my inland lakes maps on my handheld Garmin. The Garmin becomes hunting and hiking equipment now.

Guess I will just wait for the right price to come along, regardless of who the maker of the chip is.

Thanks,

Mojo

Hello, Kyl,

Curious about your observation that Navionics has more contours on Mille Lacs. I've only seen 1 foot contour intervals on both cards.

They are both 1' contours but they show different things.

On the surface, the Navionics looks more accurate by showing more detail but on the water, LM is more accurate while showing fewer lines.

Here are two screen grabs of the two chips on Mille Lacs. Both zoomed about as close as I could eyeball. Both of the same coordinates.

Navionics shows 15 contour lines. LM shows only 11 (counting the circle as one).

Note: this is an example of the differnces. I do not know if the bottom structures are accurate in either picture for this location. I have witnessed this issue on other occasions in other parts of the lake.

First, Navionics-2012.

Notice how this looks like more detail, but when you drive over this area you may not see all these variations in depths. By looking at this chart it looks like there is a sweet subtle inside turn to target (just to the north and east of the cross hairs).

full-28138-24727-shot4.png

Next, Lakemaster 2011.

Fewer lines but more accurate because there are not that many variations. That inside turn is not shown. full-28138-24728-shot5.png

I would bet money that the inside turns on the Navionics chip do not actaully exist in this location.

Using Navionics as a guide you will drive around looking for structure holding fish that do not exist. I've done it. Use the LM and save yourself some time targeting real structure and points.

What is strange is that this issue is lake dependant. The extra lines on the Lake Vermillion Map are real and LM is lacking but I have found the opposite to be true on ML.