• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Freezing corn

nige

For me, not without cutting it off the cob. Blanch it by puting the cobs in water, bring to a boil, and then quickly remove the ears and put them in ice water in the sink, or a large pot of ice water. I take a large bowl, and set it in the sink. Then, invert a small bowl inside it. Take an ear and put the large end on top of the small bowl and use a sharp knife to slice off the kernels, they fall right in to the larger bowl. Put a cup or two of the kernels into freezer bags, or seal-a-meal bags. We enjoy locally grown sweet corn year round this way. Yeah, it isn't on the cob, but it sure tastes great.

I've tried freezing corn on the cob on 2 occasions----------just didn't taste like fresh picked. We have been freezing it for years and have been well satisfied with it. 2 minutes per ear in the microwave then into an ice bath to cool----------cut it off,bag it then into the freezer

I've tried freezing corn on the cob on 2 occasions----------just didn't taste like fresh picked. We have been freezing it for years and have been well satisfied with it. 2 minutes per ear in the microwave then into an ice bath to cool----------cut it off,bag it then into the freezer

Wonder if that would work with beans?

I also cut it off the cob.On the cob just tastes mushy.But I cut it off the cob first.Then cover it with water and skim off silks and parts of the cob and the anything that floats.

Then 2-3 min in the microwave and into ice water.It is best to spread it out on a cookie sheet and freeze.Then into freezer bags.You get individual kernals that way and not just a glump of corn.

Here's one I found

9 C - Fresh corn, removed from the cob

2 C - Cold water

1 tbsp. salt

1/4 C sugar

1 stick of butter(cut up and spread evenly over corn)

Place corn in a 9" X 13" pan. Add 2 cups of cold water, spread evenly cut butter over corn, sprinkle salt & sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Bag corn but let cool before sealing bags(approx. 1 1/2 to 2 cups of corn with juices per bag) Freeze. Enjoy all year round!

Hiya -

The BOSS and I put up about 75 lbs on the cob weight worth this past weekend. Learned how to do it from my in-laws a couple summers ago. Our family loves the stuff.

We cut it off the cob, then use the following ratio:

9 c corn

2 c water

1 tsp salt

2 tbsp sugar

In a large pot bring it to just barely a simmer over med heat, then take it off the heat, cool (I toss ziplock bags full of ice in to stop it cooking faster), bag it up, and freeze with the bags laying flat on a cookie sheet.

I cook double batches in a large roasting pan set over two burners. Have to keep stirring it because it can go from not doing anything to burning quick if you aren't on the ball.

I've tried using the microwave, but I think it changes the texture a little. That may all be in my head (wouldn't be the only crazy idea in there) but I do prefer it over a stove top.

Good luck.

For me, not without cutting it off the cob. Blanch it by puting the cobs in water, bring to a boil, and then quickly remove the ears and put them in ice water in the sink, or a large pot of ice water. I take a large bowl, and set it in the sink. Then, invert a small bowl inside it. Take an ear and put the large end on top of the small bowl and use a sharp knife to slice off the kernels, they fall right in to the larger bowl. Put a cup or two of the kernels into freezer bags, or seal-a-meal bags. We enjoy locally grown sweet corn year round this way. Yeah, it isn't on the cob, but it sure tastes great.

Been doing it that way for years. Did 40 bags this summer.