• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Window Air Conditioner doesn't cool enough! help please

mainbutter

So google gives me a zillion possible causes of my problem, but I'm hoping you guys can give me a little direction.

My problem:

We have a window AC unit. When it is "running", compressor is making noise and the fan is going, it isn't spewing out cold enough air. This is a new problem as my living room was plenty comfortable yesterday. This evening I get back after being away for a few hours and it's 85... frown

I've made sure the filter isn't clogged, and it makes it's typical humming noise when it spews out cold air versus when it is just the fan going, so I'm assuming the compressor is working fine. Other than that' I don't know much about air conditioners.

What should I do?

Can you see through the front grille if the evaporator is frozen up? I've seen them freeze up and if you shut it down or just run the fan a while to melt it off it may get better. If not, you may be low on refrigerant due to a leak.

If you have all the controls set properly, are not trying to cool too big an area and lost your cool the unit has probably lost it's Freon. The compressor will run, but if there isn't gas in the lines it is not going to cool. You don't say how old the unit is, but it may be time for a new one.