• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A couple of graph issues

Fish&Fowl

Question

I have a Lowrance 522c. First issue is the GPS loses its signal constantly, even though it's in the bow connected to my Minn-Kota.

Second, it has recently been losing the bottom reading, it will work for a while, then the depth starts flashing and that is followed by it reading a constant 1.3 ft. until I power it down and turn it on again.

Any info on either problem is much appreciated!

7 answers to this question

Ahh...the 500 series!!

The disposable Lowrance!!

Before you do anything, do a hard reset. Likely, things will work again...for a while.

WHEN it happens again, use side cutters and clip all the wires to the back of the unit, and kick it into the lake.

I have the GPS problems with my 332c. The puck is next to my console and it constantly loses signal and finds it again. I had problems with the depth flashing and it not readying bottom. Got a new transducer and that issue was fixed.

I had the same problem losing the bottom with my 522. GPS worked perfect. After multiple hard resets I called Lowrance and they had me send it in. They ended up giving me a deal on a new Lowrance unit.

Before you send it in, download your waypoints to a SIM card.

Thanks for the info guys. I have an 858c on the dash and am definitely sold on Humminbird. I was okay with the gps not working, but now that the graph doesn't want to either it's basically useless. What exactly is a hard reset? Might give that a try for the heck of it.

A hard reset will clear the hard drive and restore all factory settings.

I forget the exact procedure, but it can be found on Lowrance's HSOforum, or just call Capra's or Thorne Bros.

If you have any data you want to keep from the unit, save it to an SD Card before doing the reset. There's a soft reset procedure as well, in which you will not clear the hard drive...but I would just go with a hard reset.

The issues you're having are very,very common.

Are you using a US2 on your trolling motor as the transducer or a lowrance one?

If its a lowrance one its probably the transducer.

Those 522 with the internal GPS were notorious for intermittent GPS signal. No surprise that it loses signal.

A hard reset may help otherwise a SW update may be in order as well.

Lowrance has been very good about getting people out of these models with deals on a new one as mentioned earlier.

Also, do you have the unit powered off the same battery as the trolling motor? That can cause interference, but its usually not the type of issue you are having. Something to also consider.