• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Burner pics for smoker build

Ok so heres what I came up with, I actually took the origional pipe from the origional burner an was able to cut it off an insert it into the new burner pipe i took from my grill. I hooked every thing up before installing an works great an should be able to center the burner in the cooler.full-2178-22391-img_0316.jpg

full-2178-22393-img_0318.jpg

I should easily be able to center the burner an attach the control panel on the outside. So More Q's please. Where dose the chiminey need to be noe that the burner is centered an how big of a chiminye pipe 4" diameter? An where to put the air vents? top an bottom? Thanks for help Boar

not sure, it was mentioned on my last post of smoker build Q's about a chiminey, I thought just the venting to an bottom but would like info on questions listed abouve. Got a great potential smoker an wana do it right once.

Is this part of the smoker you got for free? Just wondering because it was just like mine and that part looks similar to the inside of mine. The notches are where a rack goes and a cast iron pan sits on that the wood chips go in. I guess its just hard to figure out what you are doing with just this picture. Should only need a vent at the bottom for air and a vent on top to release some smoke.

right its the smoker I got for free, its an old stainless caelas brand, thats the burner box, Igot the free one to make this build out of the insulated upright cooler I also got for free. I have toinstall this burner into the cooler. I got the same rack, iron woodchip pan an a water dish, not qite sure wat to do with that yet, for moister im sure.

You'll need vents down low to provide oxygen for the flame and being that you have propane one vent open above to vent exhaust. You'll want to be sure the burner burns clean so I'd situate one open vent to inspect the flame. For sure the air mixture will need to be outside the smoker.

Then the upper vents/damper will effect heat, smoke, oxygen, and moisture.

Normally you'll start out vents wide open. Depending on what your smoking you might leave them open during the entire process. Jerky for example, your smoker is a drier and you would leave the vents open. So I'd add vents and dampers to the top and bottom and you'll want to be able to open and close them. An insulated smoker is good for winter or a small electric element with T-Stat and relay. Your burner was configured for a non insulated smoker and X amount of sq ft. Hopefully your able to turn the burner down enough for this smoker because having to open the vents to keep the temp low because the burner is too hot that isn't good either.

The water pan will do 3 things. Since water boils at 212 degrees consider that a big heat sink in your smoker. Of coarse it'll add moister as well and you can also add more flavor is you wish. Your not going to use the water pan all the time either. Again if your drying you won't want it.

Personally I never use a water pan.