• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

State Forests for Bow Hunting

1eyeReD

I know not many hunters like to share where they hunt so I'll keep it at a high level..

I mainly bowhunt the Richard Dorer State Forest lands. I hunt chunks of land in this state forest between Red Wing and the Whitewater WMA. As much pressure as these lands get, I rarely run into another bowhunter in the woods. I only see them in the parking lots and I'm usually the first one there and last one out. Small game hunters have walked by a time or two in the last three years I've hunted this state forest, but the sound of 22's and shotguns fade away quickly after the second weekend of the season. The rest of the time, you pretty much have the place to yourself (well, at most of my spots). Seen big bucks, have bagged a doe or two, missed a big buck a few years ago - overall, I like it - not bad for public.

However, I feel I am ready to try different state forests.. Try something other than bluff country. Lately, I am thinking I would like to try further north like the Snake River State Forest, Rum River State Forest and am even considering the St. Croix State Forest. I've done some scouting and have seen potential spots..

To anyone who has hunted any of these mentioned state forests, what has your experience been in general? Pressure? Lay of the land? Habitat?

Thanks to anyone who is willing to share,

1eye I can't really speak to those areas but from what I gather you know what you are doing and shouldn't have a problem transitioning to other areas. I hunt the northern half of the state so I have more public land to work with but on just about any public land there are two constants, pressure and places the deer go to avoid the pressure. Like you all of the places I hunt recieve pressure from numerous other hunters of all variets, also like you I rarely see other hunters and have no issues getting on deer and big deer under the right conditions. I'd say scout em out, do you thing and you will be fine.

Thanks for the response Bear.

I have hunted some northern spots too, just not in state forest land and do notice there are some differences in approach which comes with lay of land and forage. I hunt a decent sized WMA in Carlton county and without much for crop land, it's been a huge learning curve to say the least. But I'm seeing more deer everytime I've gone and everytime I've hunted it, I've tried a different location within the WMA. It is mainly big woods hunting in a big ravine with lots of alder stands(?), aspen and birch. Quite a bit of grouse hunters in the early season, but in December, there is not soul in there and I've seen some plump does. Here, I have no idea what they eat. My technique so far is finding potential bedding areas and then I sit on trails going into em based on my slight ideas of where they are going in the mornings and evenings.

I also have permission to a private piece that includes a hay field up the street from that and have hunted with little success on bagging or even seeing a decent buck. However, these two spots are loaded with does. Only problem is, it's a Choice unit and I usually avoid using my tag on a doe until the last minute. So part of my quest in trying out these state forests I've never hunted before includes baggin meat - as the state forests I've mentioned lie within intensive management areas.

The state forests I'm looking at, I have friends and acquaintances who hunt them during the gun season. They say these places have good deer numbers and can be had if you know what you're doing, but lots of swamps, bogs and flatter terrain than what I'm used to. I'd like to learn how to bowhunt this type of country. Would those experienced guys out there say it's safe to assume deer travel only on the more solid ground like fingers and islands or peninsulas that run through these swampy, marshy, wet areas? Or do they travel right through these wet areas quite a bit? And what the heck do the deer eat? I've asked my friends, but they only enter these woods for one or two weekends a year during the gun season and haven't been able to describe any kind of typical pattern.

I can say that in my experience that if given a choise that deer do not go in water or mud deeper then 6" unless pushed. I only hunt (private) swamp areas and ALWAYS hunt the lowest firm ground around. It is usually the thickest area but after watching deer go in the swamps they try to stay dry for the most part.

Froggy

In response to what the deer eat in the northern public lands: Clearcuts - aspen in particular, acorns, and browse at the edge of swamps. An aspen clearcut can act just like a corn field. Often there is plenty of forage and they will eat almost anywhere. Some sections of woods that are very mature will offer very little deer browse.

Like Froggy mentioned the bigwoods deer usually following the loggers around, once an area has been cut it can provite a lot of foot for 10+ years. The first 5 years are probably the best but once things grow up there is still tons of browse to feed on, they often bed and feed right in the thick cover so it can be hard to get them out of there but that is a good place to start if you want to get on them.

The swamp/bog and marsh setting is a great place for holding deer. Food might not be as noticable there but it is there. I have watched does feed for hours in a bog area I would have never thought had any food. The deer will also travel all over the place in this type of swamp/marsh setting. Keep an eye on the transition areas around the wet stuff. Remote islands are a good place to find deer hiding out, espeically once the pressure is up. I often search out the nastiest wettest stuff I can find, I never see any hunters there but find some nice deer in there.

Thanks, guys. Very valuable information here. I most definitely want to sharpen the skills and it is without a doubt that I'll be walking into the woods with the tips provided.

I've been reading up on the Chengwatana State Forest also. Anyone bowhunt here? The map tells me I'll want to make sure the GPS is at full charge. Lots of swampy areas, I assume.

Slimngrizzly,

I am definitely trying for all of those LOL! To break it down, I want to fill a management doe tag or two while having a potential shot at a decent buck. Doesn't have to be a huge buck as I've never shot a whitetail buck with a bow before, but if I draw back on one, it'll only happen if it's a P&Y.

The spots I've been hunting have been good to me, but I do honestly feel like if I keep looking I may find areas that offer a different experience. Again, I want to try different terrain, with hopefully better numbers of deer, and with a chance to learn different types of deer patterns and such. If lucky, I may find an area with more deer numbers or terrain features that make for better setups. Bluff country deer hunting is very exciting and I'll always go back, especially during the rut. Just looking for different options that don't require a non-resident tag, that's all.

The time I put in to scout and hunt is pretty limited. I do get out as often as possible, but probably not as much as I should or would like. I usually get in several days of scouting around this time of year on several different spots. I drive up north to help the landowner put up stands at the end of August as well. As for hunting, I always do all of opening weekend, and about 2 to 3 more sits during the month of September, about 7 to 10 total sits (mornings, evenings and sometimes all day) in October and I'll do about 4 or 5 sits after the gun season up north. All my drives are an hr or more, and the furthest I've driven to get into a stand is about 2 1/2 hrs.