• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting ready for the next Lake Michigan trip.

Here's a few trolling flies that I have tied up for our upcoming fishing trip to Washington Island, WI in a few weeks. I've been making trolling flies for a couple of years now so I add a few based on what I hear the fish are going on each year.

I used 50# big game for my leader material, #2 trebles and 2/0 or 3/0 octopus hooks. Depending on the action I'm looking for I either snell or tie the hooks on the leader. You'll see single treble, tournament and tandem hook sets. Here they are...

TrollingFlies4.jpg

Top fly is a transluencent green/chartuese/blue mirage fly wrapped on a tube with a single treble and red/green beads. The bottom fly is a super glow green with glow green beads, glow green bullet head on a tandem hook rig.

TrollingFlies3.jpg

Top fly is a transluscent green, chartruese, blue and peal flie on a glow green bullet head tied to a tandem hook rig with purple/pink/red beads. The bottom flie is a green crinkle/blue mirage/chartruese mirage on a tube, with green beads on a tournament rig.

TrollingFlies1.jpg

Top fly is chartruese mirage/pearl with blue beads with a single treble snelled to the leader on a chartruese bullet head. Bottom fly is a modified little boy blue with LLB/blue mirage/purple and light blue beads wrapped on a tube with a tournament style snell.

Last year the LLB fly was hot as well as the basic green flies. I added some caramel dolphin flies a couple of weeks ago. Already have plenty of whites, purple, red and blue flies. I alway bring my kit along just in case one particular fly gets hot and I can get a few made for each of our boats fishing. It's a good way to pass time on stormy or windy days.

Looks good enough to eat:) If the weather permits, you can do really well out off of Rock island but the fishing right around Washington island is always pretty darn good as well. Seems like we always get bigger kings up that way but maybe the fish don't see as much pressure as they do around other ports. I'm headed out Friday and then again in 2 weeks for four days and will be fishing Algoma and Keewaunee this year. Got whirlwind weekend this weekend, halfday Friday, fish Saturday am and pm and probably Sunday morning depending on how we do. Taking my 10 yo out for his first salmon trip so I hope to get him into some decent fish. Those are some nice looking flies you tied up. I like the stiffer 50# line as well, makes those flies dance a bit more.

Tunrevir~