• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

'76 15HP Evinrude

irishwalleye

My vote would be for dirty carbs (you didn't say if it had carbs) or dirty injectors. Al signs of starvation which is why hitting the priming bulb every 30 seconds works.

Forget about the part on dirty injectors your motor is too old to have them. I suggest a good carb cleaning.

Come on guys.....let's get it right for the guy.

If it runs fine until you have to squeeze the bulb then it isn't the carbs.

It's a simple fuel restriction issue, and 80% of the time caused by a faulty, blocked, or unopened tank vent. Try running with the gas cap off (or just really loose). If that solves it.....then it's the tank vent.

It could be the fuel pump as well. If after trying the above you haven't fixed it, then elevate the tank above the motor and run it that way. If it runs fine with the tank elevated, then the fuel pump is weak or has failed.

The tank/vent cap was my first thought also. I have already swapped out the tank. I have not changed the hose yet and that could have a hole/leak in it.

I am pretty sure it is the fuel pump also. Just wanted another opinion.

Ordered my repair manual this morning. Thanks guys.

I had this on an '85 25 hp Johnson and it was the gas line connection to the motor.

Good point. A leaky gas line connection could be sucking in air. Other suggestions so far seem a bit more likely though to check first.

had the same motor and similar issue, I replaced the fuel pump and it helped. sounds like thats your issue, they are easy to do, and you can get the kit for about $15 at napa. I also recommend following Leroy's HSOforum, he has numerous article regarding the 15-9.9hp evinrudes and troubleshooting, FAQ,carb rebuild, etc. just google "leeroys ramblings evinrude" its the 1st topic