• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Uneven tire tread boat trailer

ClownColor

I just noticed this weekend that the inside of my trailer tires are wearing extremely faster then the outer edges and center. In fact, the outer edge could almsot pass as new while the inner edge is completely bald leaving me to purchase a new set. While I'll be spending money on new tires (big trip this weekend), that doesn't fix the problem. Here's some back ground:

1)Trailer and tires are going on 5 years (bought both new at same time)

2)Trailer came with boat when bought brand new (so leaves me to beleive they wouldn't sell a trailer not suited for the boats weight)

3)Karavan trialer

4)have been checking tire pressures annually

5)Didn't "notice" uneven tread wear but wasen't espicially looking either so don't know how long. Tires are generally pretty dirty/muddy from the ride to the cabin.

6)VERY limited miles as most lakes are within 30 miles...only about 4 trips a year around 120 miles...Use boat around 8-12 weekends per year.

7)No bearing buddies but have the Karavans Sure lube system and its been maintained.

I'm thinking its a bent axel but please let know if you'd have this problem and how you fixed.

Thanks,

CC

My '08 Alumacraft wears the opposite way - extremely bad on the outside edge. The dealer may have been blowing smoke up my skirt but said that this was because the trailers are set to anticipate extra weight/gear in the boat that flexes the trailer slightly and corrects the toe.

One thing that I did was put my trailer on jacks and took my tires to the shop down the street. They flipped the tires and now I've been wearing down what were the insides. You might get more life by flipping those tires.

My '08 Alumacraft wears the opposite way - extremely bad on the outside edge. The dealer may have been blowing smoke up my skirt but said that this was because the trailers are set to anticipate extra weight/gear in the boat that flexes the trailer slightly and corrects the toe.

One thing that I did was put my trailer on jacks and took my tires to the shop down the street. They flipped the tires and now I've been wearing down what were the insides. You might get more life by flipping those tires.

Not a bad idea and maybe a quick fix for awhile but still want to get to the source. My biggest fear is being "that guy" on the side of the road...Hate to waste a fishing trip over something like that!

Check wheel bearing's, have a buddie who also had same isue a few years back. Turns out one of the inside bearings was bad but was good enough not to fall apart. Both his tire's wore on the insides from this.

I just took my wheels into Goodyear this morning. At 6am I was pulling off the wheels and doubting whether I needed to do it yet. I decided to just pull the trigger and do it. When I got the second wheel off, I got a nice poke/sliver in the finger. I looked and sure enough the steel belt was popping out.

I am sooo glad that I decided to do it. I can't imagine that I would have gotten much past Forest Lake before these things popped! New Goodyear Marathons going on right now....$92 each

Have a tire shop check the wheel alignment of your trailer. My dad was buying a set of tires at least every other year because of the same issue. He had it done and has 3 years on the new set. They still look really good. Sometimes pulling it in or out of a poor launch they drop into a hole at the end of a ramp and it knocks them out of alignment.