• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

extra long shaft motor on a boat that requires a long shaft

Bambito

Thats my problem!!! Bought a 16 crestliner a few weeks back and it has a 25 inch shaft motor on a boat that has a 19-20 inch transom. Took it out for the first time last night and going fast enough to plain the boat out it started kicking water into the back of the boat. So I got it home and measured everything up and sure enough its an extra long shaft motor. Sooooooo what are my options? Its a 1982 johnson 25 hp. I have heard that you can shorten the shaft on these. How much work is it and how expensive is it to do? I wont be doing it! No mechanic here! Thanks guys!

Look at the housing, it should be visible there's a section added. Usually there's an extension also added for the driveshaft and shifter rod.

Have them removed, it shouldn't be more than a couple of hours labor.

Pull the serial numbers on the motor and search it on the web for a schematic you will know if you can pullit aprt from those drawings it will also give you a idea of just how to do it.

it is fairly simple with only a few minor tools needed.

If this is not one of those types of mototrs the you would need to build up the transom of the boat to lift the motor up. You could have a metal fab shop make you an aluminum riser that would slip over your transom and bolt to it with stainless screws.

Good Luck with your project