• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

used car tranny problems?

hi we are starting to look for a used car about $2000 this is tops for us. i realize thats not much. however looking for mini van mid size car bonniville taurus etc is there any that jump out that are known problems with the tranny. i have heard chrysler mini vans are bad not sure. the reason i ask is we will tow our boat with this its #800 lbs mostly short trips less than 20 miles total. i know with a used car anything is possible to go out but our bonnivelle is so rusted out the bumper shocks that hold the hitch on are just about gone. thanks for your help

The chryslers will tow an 800lb boat but you need to keep it in 3 not it drive or OD and watch your tach. Not a fan of the chrysler trannies myself but if you can find one cheap that just had the tranny rebuilt I would buy it.

I would not use a Taurus to tow again as I did blow up a tranny in that (cracked the housing).

It's going to be tough for your price range, but I would try to find a used truck, S10 or Ranger may be?

thanks for the replies this will be a daily driver. i dont really want a truck i couldnt afford the gas in it. we have a 2002 chrysler town and country but we are afraid we will blow the tranny on it runs good now but has 140000 miles and its the only car we trust any where it doesnt have a hitch either. i believe your right on the taurus any i find for sale say needs tranny or tranny slips sometimes hee hee thanks for the help

If you could find a used S10 with a 4 cylinder and manual transmission you will get as good if not better gas mileage than your minivan.

It won't be a speed demon, but it will pull your boat and you won't need to worry as much about transmission issues.