• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Use CAD Software?

HOBBSTER

Just wondering if anyone uses or knows of a CAD design software program which has built in features such as a running hardware list and uses dimensional lumber, different types of plywood, rafters, sheetrock boards, angle iron, nuts, bolts, screws, hinges, shingles, etc. I'm currently using Google SketchUp. Its free, and takes a little getting used to and I have to label everything, but the YouTube videos help.

Things I'm looking to build are fish house, garage, deer stand, trailer, shed, finishing a basement, etc. I've got most my blue prints on graph paper, the Google Sketch Up brings them to life but can be time consuming.

If there is a good quality architectural/ home building/ engineering program to pay for I'd be interested as well. Thanks, Hobbs.

From my experience autoCAD you have to do all your own dimensions as well as labeling the items. I use everyday at work as far as other program I wanna say that solid works is more what your looking for as I wanna say that it will create a list of things you used but been a few years since I have used it. But these are not cheap programs to buy a license on just a little FYI.

Haha correct there not cheap products geared more towards the industry than misc people. They do have lite versions that's just doesn't have all the bells and whistles. There are also student versions/trials you can try

Good CAD software does not fall under a DIYer's budget unfortunately.

I'm an architect and my firm is running Autodesk Revit now and has been for quite some time. We also have current versions of Autocad/Autocad Architecture (2013). I don't even know how this software falls into someone's personal budget, its ridiculously priced.

With that said, we do a ton of work on Sketch-Up as well, no cost to the company. smile

Yep, the average DIYer will not ever put up the coin for a full blown Autodesk product. At work I run Autocad 2012, and we also have Revit, Solidworks, and Inventor. I think the best no-cost option is going to be Sketch-up. I haven't played around with it enough to be "good" with it, but can use it. I do a lot of 3D work in AutoCAD, once you get the hang of it I think it is almost as easy as Sketch-up, but the learning curve is a bit steeper.

When I was in college, I worked for HD and we had a deck/ garage design program that would keep a running list of hardware, dimensional lumber, etc. So thats why I was just wondering if there was anything like that for free or cheap (haha) for the public. Thanks all the input. Like I said, I think I'll stick to Sketch Up and grid paper.