• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 Moose Hunt anyone?

It has been running about 50% success. Plenty of information on the DNR HSOforum, as well as here on HSO. My buddy and I drew a tag in 2010, after 30 years of on and off applying, and we were successful and got a bull. There are far fewer tags available now, so likely very hard to draw, but every year you hear of people that draw in their first year of application. Applying in the boundary waters zones have higher chances of drawing, but obviously there are a lot more challenges involved in a canoe-in hunt.

Lispeej,

The MN moose hunt is an awesome opportunity! Unfortunately, I don't know how much longer it will be around.

You basically have two choices when it comes to hunting moose in Minnesota. A Boundary Waters hunt, or a hunt outside the BWCA. It is important that you know what you are looking for in the hunt, and what you are capable of before you decide which to apply for.

Zones inside the BWCA generally have better draw odds. It only took me 4 or 5 years to get drawn for my tag. Success rates tend to be lower, and you need to be willing to set aside a large chunk of time to do the hunt. You also have to have the right gear, skills, and attitude to be willing to spend up to two weeks away from civilization. You will need at least 3 (4 would be better) people committed to the hunt in case you shoot a moose. They are not small animals, and getting one out before it spoils will test every part of you. It took my group of 3 guys 2 1/2 days after I pulled the trigger last year to get back to the truck. 21 miles paddling and 11 miles portaging with packs that averaged 70-80 pounds.

A non-BWCA moose hunt will probably be no cake-walk either once you shoot a moose, but at least you will have the ability to come back to a camper or hotel room at night for good meals, showers, comfy beds, etc.... It will also be easier to switch up locations during the hunt to find animals, and scouting trips will be MUCH easier.

The MN DNR site has TONS of information and I would recommend starting your research their. They have maps, zone descriptions, and you can even see where every moose has been shot in the last 10-15 years.

If you think this is for you, apply for the hunt!!! It is an awesome experience! Where else do you have a chance to call in an 1,000 lb+ animal with your own voice! You will never be the same after it! If you have doubts about it, or aren't sure you can invest the time to truly do the hunt right, you might be better off passing for now, to give someone else a better chance to get a tag.

Oh yeah, and moose is delicious! Here is a link to my moose hunting thread with some pictures. PM me if you have any other questions.

BWCA Moose Hunt

NoWiser provided a lot of good advice. We called in the one I shot with our voices and it was an amazing experience. And +1 on moose being delicious meat, the best wild red meat I have ever had.

Crow Hunter

I have taken part in both hunts within and outside of BWCA. Most of the hunts outside are road hunts. Most hunters just drive old logging roads and such until you see a moose in a clear cut and then get out and hopefully shoot it. I had a friend with whom I rode along on his successful moose hunt some 25 years ago. I have participated in a couple BWCA moose hunts and they can be as tough as you want them to be. You don't necessarily have to paddle in 21 miles to shoot a moose though I admire those that do. I have hauled out a moose with help from just one other guy so it can be done and it was not a nightmare. Personally I found the BWCA moose hunt the highest quality hunt in Minnesota. Not a ton of other hunters, a fairly difficult quarry to find, note that once you find one they usually don't high tail it like a deer might do so you have time to take a quality shot. Plus your camping in a wilderness setting. I would agree that this opportunity may not be around for long so you should apply and take your chances. I personally believe the wolves take a lot of the new born calves but they have not been able to show that yet in their studies. The population of moose in the Northeast part of our country is doing fine and the only variable they do not have is a wolf population. Perhaps the upcoming wolf season will bring them into a better balance. I'm in no way calling for the demise of the wolf only a healthy balance so that we can save our moose as well.