• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New lawn mower advice

Luck e 1

Hi guys-

I sold my two old lawn mowers and now want to buy a new one.

I'm down to a couple different ones.

A Toro Personal pace $399. Comes with ability to quick switch from mulch to bag, and ability to leave mower running while blades stop...and wash port to attach a hose and wash the deck.

Honda Dual blade $499. Ability to keep mower running while blades stop, dual blades better to mulch.

Honestly just kinda wondering if it's worth the extra money.

There are commercial guys that swear that double blades are a need when cutting.

The dealers say if it was an absolute necessity, then manufacturers would make it standard.

The Toro will work fine. It's the same one we use for our commercial cutting on the smaller areas.

I have the honda HRX217HXA with the 190cc engine which was around 800 bucks. the micro cut does do a fine job mulching.

the extra cost is also about that Honda engine on it. hondas are great engines. the kawasaki's are excellent but are mostly found on commercial mowers...

that toro your looking at has the briggs. i'd rather have a honda engine than a briggs. the toro supper bagger has the honda 160cc but at 579.00. then the toro commercials i believe mostly all have the kawasaki's...

We have Toro personal pace for around 5 years now. Great mower that always starts within 2 pulls. The mower will go faster than I care to walk and still cut just fine. We always mulch but the bagger does a great job if you want to pick up leaves or pine needles.

I have the Toro and my 13 year old son hates it. It starts every time I tell him to mow the grass and he can start it himself :)) On a side note we just side discharge the grass and it works great. Your turf needs that layer of mulch to hold moisture. One other thing I like is I can go to the big orange Depot and get a tuneup kit which includes the exact amount of oil,an air filter and a spark plug. Every other year I throw one of these at it and it runs like a champ starts on the 1st or 2nd pull after pushing the primer bulb and holding it for a second, three times.

I had an old Toro and replaced it with a Honda, couldn't be happier. The Toro with a Honda engine would probably be the best of both worlds, until you step up to the high end Honda's.

I upgraded my mower last year and went with the Honda. Long story short, couldn't be happier. Great mow, easy, reliable starting, quiet, dependable etc. I actually do like the ability to keep the engine on when switching out the bag. I thought it was just a cheesy selling-point at the time, but it's pretty nice.