• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where can i get test props for a Merc?

WalleyeChaser

Just wondering where I can get my hands on a few props for some testing? I would like to play around and see if I can find that optimal pitch.

I'm currently running a 21p on my 115 opti with a 17.5' boat. Don't pay much attention to rpms but think I'm only at 5100-5200 and only getting 38-39 mph w/ 3/4 tank of gas, 2 people, trimmed just before that roaring cavitaion sound and loss of some speed. I can hit the optimum rpm but slip in speed a little because the prop losses push do to being trimmed too far. So am I right in assuming I can drop a pitch or 2?

Just the plain old quicksilver alum. from Fleet Farm. I don't have the coin for a SS and end up wrecking a prop every year or two so want to keep it cheaper. I'm not expecting a speed boat by any means but just want to be able to reach plane a little better with more occupants in the boat and maybe a little better on the speed. Oh and no jack plate.

The smaller pitch the better hole shot the bigger the pitch the more top end

Ie 19 = every rotation the boat moves 19 " forward thus losing top end because of capitation

And its opposite for the bigger pitch. your 21 doesn't make your boat jump on plane but at higher speeds can be achieved with lower rpms

a four blade will give you much better hole shot and stay on plane at less speed than a three blade. The trade off is less top end and performance in reverse is terrible. A 21 pitch seems high for a 115. I run a 150 opti with a temptest 21 pitch(stainless) and that is a little too much pitch. Any local dealer will usually loan out props for testing if you put a deposit down. it can be alot of fun playing with different props.

a four blade will give you much better hole shot and stay on plane at less speed than a three blade. The trade off is less top end and performance in reverse is terrible. A 21 pitch seems high for a 115. I run a 150 opti with a temptest 21 pitch(stainless) and that is a little too much pitch. Any local dealer will usually loan out props for testing if you put a deposit down. it can be alot of fun playing with different props.

I disagree and lots of high performance guys will disagree. I run big props, all are four blades; 27P, 28P and 29P on a different type of motor and hull of course. It gives me the best top end speed because there are more bites but the bigger they are sluggish my holeshot that is why you test them and find what works best for your motor and hull. Of course every boat and hull will like a different setup.

I agree with keeping the boat on plane at low speeds. And I will add, it is very efficient. Haven't noticed any difference on reverse.

Well I got a place that is going to borrow me a few to test. They will even order in and let me try them for 30 days! I did some more reading on the Nemesis and it sounds better than I thought, if it does what it claims! At this point anything has to help! I'm going to try a 19 and 17 three blade this weekend to see what happens. And then maybe try the Nemesis after the skeg gets repaired! I would love to go SS but my budget just won't allow, especially that my skeg also needs some repair! (darn pool 3 wing dam and a few canadian rocks!)