• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bullhead Traps are Working!!

SteveD

I set my bullhead traps this afternoon about 1400. Baited them with some cut up fatheads and suckers. Went back down and checked them at 1830 and got 18 beautiful 7 to 8 inch bullies. I rebaited the traps a few minutes ago and I'll let them soak overnight and check them again in the morning. I'm ready to start chasing some flatheads - those bullies look sweet!

The bullies are hungry also. They were not yet in my creek as the water is too low so I hit the lake and caught 68 nice bullies. The smallest was 6" or so.

Now the flatties have to get hungry. I think a trip to the Mn river next week is in store.

Steve,

Could you go into more information on these traps? I'd love to make some, I usually have to try and catch my bait with a hook and line and that can be a pain. Are they just like enlarged minnow traps or something? Thanks!

Steve,

Could you go into more information on these traps? I'd love to make some, I usually have to try and catch my bait with a hook and line and that can be a pain. Are they just like enlarged minnow traps or something? Thanks!

Before you get started trapping it is best to become familiar with the bait harvest regulations in the 2012 Minnesota Fishing Regulations. Read page 12 Bait and page 78 OTHER AQUATIC SPECIES - Minnows and Leeches (this covers traps) and also you should be aware of which waters are Infested Waters.

I don't make my traps - I have made them but the hardware cloth (chicken wire) is very sharp and you can cut the heck out of yourself handling the sharp edges of the wire. They are a pain in the buttocks to deal with. I use your standard cylindrical minnow trap that you can buy at Walmart or Fleet Farm. They work as good as any of the homemade ones you will see on the internet. I just bought a new Frabill minnow trap at Walmart the other day and it cost $8. The holes are only 1 inch in diameter when you buy them but it is legal to have a 1 1/2 inch hole so I take a snips to them and upsize the holes to 1 1/2 inches. I am catching big 7 to 10 inch bullheads on the 1 1/2 inch holes no problem.

I bait my traps with crappie minnows or fathead minnows. I usually take a scissors to the minnows and cut them in half so there is some scent going into the water. I kill my minnows before hand - it makes it easier to cut them up. I just take them out of the water and put them in a tupperware container before I head out to my traps. After about 5 minutes or so they are dead and easy to cut up. I usually throw about 10 in a trap for bait. Some people use dry dog food and say they have good results. I have also caught bullies on empty traps - no bait at all.

Another tip if you buy a trap. The traps are designed to come apart but I zip tie the two halves together just on one side opposite the closure opening. I lost a trap a few years ago when it came open as I was pulling it in and one half of the trap fell off and I couldn't find it. When they are zip tied together the trap just hinges instead of coming completely open but that is no problem when baiting or emptying.

Another tip: I tie my deploying rope to the bottom of the trap and not to the closure clip. Those clips have a habit of falling off sometimes and you can lose a trap that way too. I tie my rope to the bottom of the trap and that way you will never lose it. I also tie the closure clip on a short piece of string to the trap. If the clip comes loose I won't lose it that way.

Another tip: I walk out into the bullhead pond to about waist deep. I carry about a 6 foot pointed stick with a wire loop on one end. I pound that stick into the bottom and clip my ropes to that stick when I throw them out. If somebody wants my traps they will have to go in the water to get them. I don't tie off to the shore - it would be too easy for someone to get at them. I have never lost a trap to somebody taking them. This time of year I have to wear waders but that is no problem. It only takes about 10 minutes to check 4 traps, empty them and rebait them and redeploy. I will sometimes fish the traps just doing a round robin checking them every 10 to 15 minutes for a couple of hours. If you have a good pond with a high bullhead population you can sometimes pick up 3 to 4 per trap after about only 15 minutes of soaking. I think it is sometimes faster than hook and line fishing for bullheads especially early in the spring like now.

full-8403-19084-cylindricalminnowtrap.jp

are there any rules about unattended traps?

I see you have some sort of label with yours.

I've used traps to catch minnows before, but I usually just catch em right where I'm using them.

Like I said, you should become familar with the 2012 Minnesota Fishing Regulations. Read Page 78 - Minnows and Leeches:

This is part of the requirements -

• Traps used on waters, other than infested, may not exceed a width and length of 30 inches, height may not exceed 15 inches, the diameter or width of the opening may not exceed 1 1/2 inches, and mesh size may not exceed 1/2 inch bar measure. Traps must have a waterproof tag bearing the name and address of the owner.