• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When to plant a tree

SkunkedAgain

If you're thinking spring, anytime is a good time to plant a tree. Spring and fall are ideal since the temps are lower and there is usually more moisture available.

Personally, I would advise against a silver maple unless you really want one. If you're considering maples, I would check out some of the new hybrids like an autumn blaze maple/ They are fast growing like the silver but have better fall color and not as messy. Obviously a maple will still be messy with the helicopter seeds, but the silvers take it to another level with the red bud covers (they are all over the ground right now) then the helicopters and finally the leaves falling late after only turning yellow.

Silvers do become big sprawling shade trees though so make sure you have enough room or plan on being gone before it gets too big.

I agree. If you want a nice tree, the Autumn Blaze or Freeman maple's are a good way to go. They bring the best of both world's, the fast growth of the silver maple and the harder, tougher wood of the hard maple. I staggered them in between the poplars in the windbreak so they're ready to step up when we take the poplars down. Mother Nature watered them for me up until mid-July and after that they were on their own. They look fine this spring. Silver maples grow fast but they are about 1 step above a boxelder when it comes to handling wind storms. The advantage over a boxelder is the limbs are straighter and easier to cut up when the wind blows them to pieces. grin

Another vote for the Autumn Blaze. We planted one almost 8 years ago and it's a beautiful tree. No mess and really nice fall color: deep orange changing to deep red. Good growth, not as quick as a silver. Puts on 1.5-2.5' a year.

We had a silver maple in my parents back yard growing up with a neighbor having one as well. Can't tell you how many times the gutters got clogged with helicopters. The leaves would turn a pale green/yellow and then fall off in very late Nov/early December, often with snow on the ground. The worst thing is they never stop growing, they become quite huge. Trunk was at about 4' in diameter and it hadn't skipped a beat on growth. My parents spent a small fortune removing the tree as 30% of it was over our roof.

Though autumn blaze is a great looking tree everyone is planting them like wildfire. Remember dutch elm disease and emerald ash borer all catastrophic events in their own right, caused from over panting one species. Drive around and look at any recently built homes, 98% have all freemans, autumn blaze maples. I would suggest something like a hackberry, just me though.

Yes, that's true depending on where you are. We've planted hackberries, walnuts, and assorted oaks and conifers among other things. The problem with most of the first 3 is they grow so slowly that's why we focused on them first. It's just recently that we started planting Freeman maples and that's to replace the poplars put in as a windscreen. We'll have 20 in the ground as of this spring. As a percentage of what we've planted over the past 27 years though they amount to less than 5%. In cities and towns, that percentage is likely higher no doubt. However, I'd say in places like Bugtussle where they've done their homework and worked with urban Forestry folks to help keep problems from happening, they've gone with a nice blend of trees such as locusts, lindens, hackberries, flowering crabs, oaks as well as maples. For one guy wanting one shade tree, I don't think planting a Freeman maple will be the end of the world.

Chiming in here with the thought of considering bare root stock. If you get them from a reputable nursery, you can get some good deals and with the proper care, fast growing trees. You can plant more for less $$$. I've had terrible luck with the online nurseries, though, and would steer clear of them for anything but seeds, bulbs, and root stock, etc.