• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow Fishing?

I'm looking into getting into bow fishing. Trying to find a reasonably priced set up. I have a Mathews LX, could I just add a reel to that, or would holding that kind of poundage get to be too tough after a while? Any ideas on where to look? I checked the classifieds on this site, no luck. No luck on the list either. Finding kits for $350 online, that's a sight more than I'm willing to pay right now. Any suggestions?

there are a lot of online classifieds out there keep looking, shouldnt be hard to find an old bow for under $150 to use for bow fishing, use anywhere from 30-50 pounds you dont need a heavy draw, plus you could be pulling holding and shooting that 100+ times in an outing.

If you just want to try it, find a $25 stickbow at a flea market and get a cheap set-up from Fleet Farm. Maybe a total of $50 invested. Try it a few times to see if it's worth spending the big bucks a nice set-up.

But honestly, I would not try to use your LX no matter how deeply you wanted to get into it.

normally Scheels in Kato takes some of there not very good used bows and sets them up with bw fishing rigs and sells them.... usually they are very reasonable for the bow and bottle reel set up... otherwise i think the bottle real/rest/arrow kits is like 110 bucks from them, and it works very well. I have a set up as well as my girlfriend... very happy with them

I'd keep looking, lots of time yet, they will start popping up here before season opens

Don't use your hunting bow for bowfishing. My hunting bow is tuned great and I didn't want to mess with it do I bought a recurve a few years ago for $100. I picked up the AMS bowfishing kit for another $100 or so and it's a great setup for me. At my draw I'm shooting about 45 lb draw weight but have the option to short draw and snap shoot. It's addicting. Shop hard and you can get a setup that will last years for $200 or less.

I just use some of my old hunting bows,I shot some tournaments this summer and a lot of the guys use the onieda eagle bows. Also I have the retriever with the bottle and for the pleasure shooting they work great but for the tourneys I suggest the zebco reel style.