• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Moles

lawman

My neighbor's yard has been a mole infested breeding ground for years. Occasionaly one would wander into my yard and I could kill them when they went shallow into a feeding run. Last fall a couple went deep, too deep for a shovel or pitchfork to get. Is there anything I could pump into their deep dens like bleech water or some thing that to move them. How about those deep tree root feeders, would that get something down there they hate?

Moles love to eat grubs, larve, etc... under the sod. So I suggest treating your lawn with insecticide to kill the grubs, insects, etc... and this will force them to find food elsewhere. And... by the way, do not let your neighbor know what you are doing.

You might want to try that, but it didn't work for me. I have had them for a couple years now on and off. Tried all the grub killer stuff it would work for a little while then they would be back. I'm going to try some mole killer this year that you spread on your lawn.

Moles are a headache at our place too and frustrating to catch. Part of the problem is about the time I've figured out which runs are active where they can best be trapped, it dries out. The moles suddenly stop working, making the trapping ineffective. Varying degrees of success with traps over the years. Actually my best kill was with the garden tiller on the garden area south of the house. Nailed 3 of 'em in about a half hour! A couple websites on mole control:

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/g9440

http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/g3200.pdf

I have had very good luck with the Nash Choker Loop Trap. You do have to inspect your lawn every day to find the most active tunnels. I have even got a 2nd mole in the same run that I nailed one 2 days before. They say that moles have a keen sense of smell so i wear latex gloves when I set the trap to avoid any human odors. If you get one of these traps there are good instructions inside. The only place I found them are at my local feed mill. You won't find them at the big box stores.

These traps will not get the deep moles but they will come to the surface and make runs to eat. I think that the deep holes are their nests. You just have to stay after it.

I would not waste any money on mole repellents or mole killers or poison peanuts or anything else like that. You have to be licensed to get anything liquid that will do any good.

PS I got one with the pitchfork too. Sweet revenge!

There is a product called Talprin or TomCat, both essentially the same thing.

It's grub / worm shaped bait that you put in the tunnel, and the moles eat it and die.

As for putting bleach, or any other substances outside of recommended usage on / in the earth, please don't pollute.

You might want to try that, but it didn't work for me. I have had them for a couple years now on and off. Tried all the grub killer stuff it would work for a little while then they would be back. I'm going to try some mole killer this year that you spread on your lawn.

There's not a product that's a "Mole Killer" that you spread on your lawn. Merit, Dylox, Scott's, all of those products work by removing the food source, ie grubs.

If you remove the food source, the moles go away.

There are threads on here using the Talprin / TomCat product with reviews of success. You don't need a license to purchase it, and they sell it most big box stores and garden centers.

I saw a guy on YouTube using a neat tool to cut slits in the ground so he could place the Nash Choker trap properly. No digging. Set up three traps in a minute. Wish I could find this tool.