• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what size trolling motor for what size boat

Queenswake

Last summer we were out in my parents' Alumacraft Lunker 16 on an electric-only lake and our 35 lb transom trolling motor was fine until the wind picked up and we were powerless to go anywhere. I have a feeling that the lack of a good V in the Lunker makes the boat more susceptible to being blown around. But I also know that 35 lb is a bit small for that boat.

So would a 55 lb be enough or do I have to go bigger? Also, how much faster does a larger trolling motor drain the battery?

Thanks.

a 55lbs motor is what you want for that boat. I have a 2011 Aluma craft 160cs fisherman and have the power drive V2 55lbs w/universal sonar and the I pilot. it handles my boat nicely. top speed is 2.5 to 2.6 mph with my boat. battery drain is not bad but I also plug the on board charge in when I get home from the lake just to make sure I have a fully charged battery for next time I go out fishing.

If you have the room for 2 batteries, I wouldn't even think twice about it and go right to a 24v system, the battery run time alone is incredible vs a 12v system, the 24v systems also seem to be flat out more powerful (yeah I know you are upping thrust). I recently upped from a 55# 12v to a 65# 24v and the difference was night and day.

Overpowered you can always turn it down and run all day, underpowered, well you've already seen the effects of that. Go for the most powerful you can afford and have room for. If you have room for two batteries go with a 65-70lb and it will probably run for multiple days fishing.

Overpowered you can always turn it down and run all day, underpowered, well you've already seen the effects of that. Go for the most powerful you can afford and have room for. If you have room for two batteries go with a 65-70lb and it will probably run for multiple days fishing.

Thats exactly what I would do. The bigger the better in this case.

I run a Maxxum 74 on my 14' Lund. Holding position in flood stage on the river, no problem. Going into a 30 mph wind, not fun but also no problem. Tooling around chasing bass and panfish on a calm day, tool around at 10% power and get around great. If I want to get to the next point, crank it up to 75% and tell my son to hold on. I can troll at 4.7 mph with that sucker on my boat. You can't really have too much power. Go big, or sometimes go home early. Never questioned whether I should have stuck with a 55 and a 12V system.

I run a Maxxum 74 on my 14' Lund. Holding position in flood stage on the river, no problem. Going into a 30 mph wind, not fun but also no problem. Tooling around chasing bass and panfish on a calm day, tool around at 10% power and get around great. If I want to get to the next point, crank it up to 75% and tell my son to hold on. I can troll at 4.7 mph with that sucker on my boat. You can't really have too much power. Go big, or sometimes go home early. Never questioned whether I should have stuck with a 55 and a 12V system.

I second this!

...and 3rd it. The only reason to not go for more power is if the weight/space issue of the extra battery is a huge deal. That, and the price, I guess, but like a lot of other things, spend a little more upfront and reap the benifits during the years of use.

what if a guy went with a 24 volts system but used a gel type battery that does not have the weight and corrosion issues of a lead plate battery? Just wondering is this type would work in the continual use situation. Might pay more up front but I would think it would pay for itself pretty quick if you consider weight as a factor.

what if a guy went with a 24 volts system but used a gel type battery that does not have the weight and corrosion issues of a lead plate battery? Just wondering is this type would work in the continual use situation. Might pay more up front but I would think it would pay for itself pretty quick if you consider weight as a factor.

I think that if the gel battery has the amp-hours or reserve capacity it will be about as heavy as a flooded or AGM battery. I will check on line to see if I can verify that.

(back)

Looks like AGM or Gel is a little heavier per amp hour, and they need special charging modes to prevent damage. They can output more current for a given capacity however.