• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tarp help

mrpike1973

hi all i bought a wood collapsable house. ends wood middle tarp. well this heavy snow ripped a huge hole in it. i was able to patch enough to finish the year. i called a new tarp is about 100-125 bucks could i just make it in to a permanent i figure 3 sheets of 1/4 plywood would do it. its out all year. or would this be dumb i just cant justify that much for a tarp open for ideas. cheaper tarp i found some truck tarps 10 x 12 at a farm store for 60 bucks black but i dont know if its see through or not thanks

I have both a porty like yours and a aperm I really like the perm over the porty but if I decide I want to hit anothe rlake I can just throw the porty in the back of the truck and head out. Its a flip of the coin.

Look at it this way is you stick a new tarp on it and you leave it out and it get ripped again next season then what.

Now if you make it permanent you build it to last for many years.

If you spear the same spot over and over would go with the perm aand if you build it light enough you can transport it to other lakes easy enough. I have bulit several shacks and they are small enough to transport.

Things to remember when building a perm its more than just plywood to have

screws/nails

studs

skids

paint

insulation not nessasary but nice

away to haul it

off season storage of it but it also serves as a storage unit

license

maintaince of it

For the porty You have the floor and the sides so you need

Tarp

stapes

edgeing materail or reuse what you have

some basic maintance

fold it up and stand it up for storage

dont need a license unless you leave it overnight unattended( thats what you do)

Guess thats why I have both.

I know this probably is not much help but Its a decision that you will have to make for yourself in the long run.

I just gave a few things to consider you have all summer to build it.

Good Luck in what ever you decide.