• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dog in heat

Abndoc

My springer was bleeding last sat...went out of town for work, told my wife to keep her in the kennel, well she let her out tonight, and she disappeared.we live in the country probably just out in the weeds, should i be worried puppies are coming...stuck out of town for 2 more days. This is bad!

Yep, I would plan on it at least for now. If you first noticed blood last Saturday, then this is getting close to just about the right time for the fertile part of her heat cycle. I don't know if you have ever seen a girl at that point in her cycle, but they really, REALLY want a boy when they are fertile. At the fertile part of her season, she would mate with a chihuahua of she could! And the boys are worse.

Talk to your vet to see if she is healthy enough for a litter of puppies. There may be other options to abort the pregnancy too. If you decide to have a litter, count 63 days on your calendar and don't plan on anything at least a week before that. And read, read, read about welping puppies. Welping is NOT for the faint of heart, too many things that can go wrong even after a successful welping. Do you by any chance know an experienced breeder near you? I can walk you through some of it by e-mail or phone, but someone close by is best.

How long did she disappear for? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 30 minutes?

It takes a bit of time for the breeding to happen... 1st boy meets girl, so unless the male was hanging around your place,,, at least a few minutes there... then a little how ya doing.... and then the tie... which is NOT a 5-10 minute deal.

30 minutes? That'd be more like it. They do make an morning after pill for dogs also... probably a good idea if you think there was a chance she was bred. No reason to put more questionable breed puppies in the market place.

Good Luck!

Ken

She came back last night was out for 2 hrs. My wife called the vet today, and she said there is a morning after pill...i believe my wife said it was a shot though. Totally my fault, but i promise no mixed breed puppies posting on our local classifieds from this guy. I will talk with the vet when I bring her on Sat, and if the best option is getting her spayed. It will be done.

LOL, well,$#it happens they say. But there is a chance. Typicaly day 12 from the first spot is golden. So any where from 7-15 days after first spot could be a problem. That shot must be given soon so I doubt when you get back would be soon enough.

Good luck.