• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New camera!!! Where to begin???

bmc

I just got "gifted" a new Sony A 100 DSLR A-100 camera. It came w/ a 3.5-5.6/18-70 lense and a 4.5-5.6/75-300 lense that has a Sunpak 55mm Ultraviolet "lense"? on it.

I've been skimming through the instructions, which are basically Greek to me. LOL

Here's a couple pics shot through the window today using the bigger lense. What kind of settings should I be using for these types of pics?

dsc01448b.jpg

dsc01450on.jpg

dsc01452k.jpg

dsc01453lm.jpg

I like the headless chickadee the best.

Thanks,

Brian

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Congratulations on the new camera! You are going to have a lot of fun. A good place to start with the basics is right at the top of this forum with a sticky topic called Photography Basics

Have a look through some of that materiel and then feel free to come back here and ask more questions!

I got my camera a little over a year ago and I knew absolutly nothing. I read a book called Understanding Exposures that help me understand Apeture, Shutter Speed, and ISO. This booked explained how each of these settings affects your pictures so you will understand what settings to have your camera at depending on what you want out of a picture. I also watched a ton of you tube videos. Their are alot of good ones out there but also some that arent so great so you have to sort through them a bit to help find the ones that will help you. I still have tons to learn but have come along way in the last year.

Brian if you feel like doing a little reading I have a copy of Understanding Exposure by Ryan Peterson. Excellent book for getting a feel of what your camera settings can do for your pictures. Let me know and I could send it to you or if you know you are going to be in the area I could meet up with you.

Scott Kelby's Digital Photography books are also a good resource. Each section is brief and well explained. I would recommend these to cover some of the basics and then use the Peterson book to expand on the exposure topic. I think Kelby does the basics well and is easy to understand helping to build a foundation, and Peterson really digs into exposure so it's good to have some base knowledge.

I can't wait to get back in the photography game.. playing around with the dog about 2 months ago.. he bumped a bookshelf that my gf's Canon EOS was sitting on.. with her 28-200mm zoom lens.. and well you can guess the rest from there.. hopefully in a couple weeks i'll have gotten a new lens and i can get back to shooting