• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

State Forest Camping

itchmesir

I believe you're right on that, same goes for Superior and Chippewa National forests. You should be able to find rules on dispersed camping on the DNR HSOforum. Just remember to practice "Leave No Trace" principles when you're dispersed camping.

"Just remember to practice "Leave No Trace" principles when you're dispersed camping."

Or ANY kind of camping. Not to hijack this thread, but every campsite I've been at has had some kind of junk I had to pick up.

"Just remember to practice "Leave No Trace" principles when you're dispersed camping."

Or ANY kind of camping. Not to hijack this thread, but every campsite I've been at has had some kind of junk I had to pick up.

thanks for the concern.. but i definitely don't need a reminder of "leave no trace".. i make sure to practice this wherever i may be camping

Sweet deal.. i was just making sure.. someone i was talking with one day seemed unsure and i wanted to make sure as i have done it in the past and never thought it was an issue.. i just take my eno hammock/bug net/tarp with me.. along with my tripack with water and snacks.. i need to invest in a water purifier so i can make longer treks without having to haul all that water

I just use a shirt filter out the big stuff and those purifier tablets to get the nasty little buggers. It works well and I don't have to buy a $100 filter.

ended up going with a Sawyer inline water filter($55) for my platypus... read nothing but amazing reviews.. it's simple.. no pumping.. just fill bladder with water and drink... can be hooked up to other tubes like camp showers... and is rated to filter one million gallons

Will do.. I plan on taking it out when I go fishing too.. since I seem to forget liquids all the time when I leave the house... This will be quite nice to dip in the stream for all my water needs... And being able to use it as a gravity filter is a nice perk too... For when me and the gf go camping and more clean water is needed at a time

On a side note... Do you think adding an inline carbon filter is worth it? Or will it just add more drag and make sipping on my hydration pack a PITA?...

Yeah basically carbon neutralizes the water and gets rid of any taste/smell the water would have... I could see this being a bigger issue with bigger stream/river systems... Or even lakes.. imy only concern is having a hernia trying to suck water through a microbial filter and then a carbon filter lol

If it were just about taste, I would forgo it. When you're out there and thirsty, you won't care as much what it tastes like as long as you won't get sick. But, it's really up to who ever is drinking the water.

I use a Sawyer gravity system - mostly BWCA trips - and I can't see why you would need/want a carbon filter add-on.

good to know laugh

now that i think of it.. if im really turned off by the flavor i could always add powdered gatorade to mask any less than pleasing flavor