• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 Trophy with what engine?????

bigeyes75

I am going to buy a 2012 Trophy and have a my choice of motors.

Just wondering what people think about the following two motors. Looking for the good, the bad, the ugly!

2012 Yamaha 150 4 stroke or

2012 Suzuki 175 4 stroke.

I have never owned either motor and don't know a thing about either one. I have always owned Mercury engines.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Mercury has a 150hp 4 stroke out for 2012. Just an FYI.

I no nothing about the other 2 you mentioned but think any choice you make theses days will not be a bad one.

Things to keep in mind is how many shops service each motor. Also which motor give you the best warranty.

Make the choice thats right for YOU and enjoy your new rig.

Mike

I'd go with the 175 Suzuki. I had a DF140 (Suzuki) on prior boat. Loved it. Wish I could have gotten a Suzuki with current boat, but a Yamaha F150 was only option. I like the F150, but I've had a few "nickel and dime" issues (all covered under warranty). Solid, but doesn't have the low end torque, out of the hole power Suzuki's DF's have.

My next boat with have a Suzuki (even if I have to pay a bit more to trade out the Yamaha (Skeeter boat), unless the Off-shore models prove to improve performance. Suzuki's (IMO) are considerably quieter than Yammies as well. You'll be happier maxing out / coming closer to maximum HP rating as well. Good luck......both solid motors either way.

I don't think your going to find many bad things about either motor. I have the 175 with a 115 Yamaha and the motor has been great. It has enough power, but it is rated to 150 H.P. and I wish I would have maxed it out.

I battled the same decision a couple of years ago on a 185 Tournament Sport. I went with the Suzuki and I don't regret my decision one bit. Very quiet, good on fuel, good low-end power, and just a very smooth engine. I'd certainly buy it again.

Agree with the others on here also - you wouldn't go wrong with the Yamaha either. If dealer service on the Suzuki wasn't available to me, I likely would've gone with the Yamaha and probably would've been just as happy.