• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Soap... I have found a load that has given me a .64", .76", and .89" inch group in my test fires, rounds shot today (with a 10mph ish direct cross wind. This is with a .58 gr v-max. With this short/light bullet is that a fairly successful load for a .243, or should I be trying to fine tune into something else? I'd like to stay with the lighter bullet to try to help save pelts, (And I 500 free ones coming for my rebate on the kit) I was pretty satisfied with this compared to most things... I am now shooting out of a lead sled with a decent table. Working much better, I have found another load that is fairly consistent with an inch group in the same conditions. All shots are at about 100 yards. Any thoughts on this??? I am thinking i could really make this gun a tack driver with a little heavier bullet, but this is more consistent then the expensive factory rounds I have been shooting. Thanks for thoughts/opinions/ idears!

regaurdless of the bullet weight/style? Should I be playing with the OAL a bit as well? I will say my gun seems to be tempermental to barrel temp a bit... but it just may seem to be that way to me. I will need to pick up some more of that powder and try fine tuning a bit more... it is the best luck i have had yet, but I ran out of that powder in my tests today. I believe my gun can shoot a better group than that, and shooting out of the lead sled I feel as though I am getting it on the same spot each time... I will keep tuning and see what happens, plus, its fun!

Picks, thats my plan! I Have already went up from my best load in .2 grain increments, and I am going to try down... When I did my step loads originally I did 5 sets of .5 grain increments.... So, I plan to try to fine tune it a bit.... On the OAL, I have the hornady comparator set, and OAL guage, And have been able to get to where I think i need to be by the guidlines in the instructions. I am plenty short on the OAL to the tip, and according to the OAL gauge and comparator set, I should be good on the round over on the bullet as well... But Maybe I need to back it off, or lengthen it a tad, I guess more playing is due! So far i have had decent luck with Varget, and my best so far is with H414... I am re trying my best step load of IMR 3031 (Pretty sure thats right) as well to see how that does out of the lead sled now that I have one. Thanks guys!

Your going about it the right way, and its fun. Yes experiment with a little more/less powder and try different OAL. IMO one thing that I came to learn was that if once I found a rd that was shooting well like .75" groups I was fine with that if this gun was being used for hunting such as fox/coyotes. I would work up a rd, go to the range and shoot a 3 shot group, then be done. Almost every barrel once heated will start to "walk" the rds on paper. Then the next day I would go back out, and shoot one rd out of the cold barrel and if it hits where I wanted it then I was ready to use that rd out of that gun for hunting. One time I did a little to much experimenting with rds for a .22-250 trying to get the ultimate rd with precision accuracy and ended up fouling the barrel to where I was having rds walk on the paper. So now I just work up about 3 loads that I think will work, shoot all three loads and keep the best grouping. I like to always remind myself that if I'm getting consistant groups of .75" or less at 100 yards or 1" at 200 yards thats gonna put anything down. So try to keep it simple, if you think about it your kill shot is a 10" area or more on big game. I would be happy with that group of .64"-.89" that you shot, thats a decent group, id say its ready for hunting. Also one other suggestion, I would get the neck sizer die for .243, I only like full sizing new brass, once a rd has been fired in your gun, the brass is formed to your chamber so I like to just neck size the future rds rather than full sizing them, food for thought.

morefish, thanks for the info, and that is what I was thinking... I am sure i can push better accuracy out of it, but probably need to go to a bit heavier bullet... and I am looking for something quick, and flat, and light, So, I may have to compromise a bit of the accuracy. I am thinking this will be a load I like and stick with. I am going to play with it some to try to fine tune it. I have thought of just neck resizing, however, I have 3 relatives with .243wins as well, and would like to be able to hand them a box, and say hay, try these out if you like, so I think I will stick to full length resizing, and a OAL that will sill meet factory guide lines... Once I get a hunting round landed upon, should i be crimping and sealing primers? Keep in mind I will probably load a pile of these up over winter, and then they will be on hand through the year while I am busier and not having time to reload...

also any thoughts on reloading for a model 94 30-30?? I have one of these that was grandpas gun... still basically looks as though it came off the factory line, with the exception of one scratch, but i was thinking of picking up some dies and working on this load after the .243 just to have some fun with it, an have the chance to shoot the gun a bit.... I am fussy about hunting with it for some reason, but I like shooting it, and it would be fun to get a tack driver load made up for it, (been reading up on hornadys bal tip rounds for lever actions. Any thoughts r suggestions on this?