• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Air Rifle Suggestions

I am hoping that some of you might be able to offer me some suggestions regarding a good air rifle. I need to dispatch several squirrels, an occasional woodpecker and would like a CO2 cartridge driven air rifle that can be deadly to ~40 yards on these. I would like one (if they make them) that has a magazine/pellet holding capability, as opposed to a single shot; don’t know if that impacts my desire for lethalness. I would use with a scope, assuming it would come with one mounted. I am up for suggestions… anyone versed in pest control with these arms??? Thanks.

it is illegal to shoot woodpeckers and I am assuming you are living inside of city limits which means shooting pellet guns at squirrels is illegal as well. we had some big squirrels at our old house and the only thing I could do was to make sure they didn't gain entry into our house. Make sure everything is buttoned up tight and the squirrels will not get into your house. They invaded my old storage shed, but they were there before me so i let them have it

As the old saying goes, you know what happens when you assume. I did not say I was going to use it in my yard or within the city limits. There are actually squirrels that live in the woods – approximately 80 acres of them – about 3 hours out of the metro area. Hunting those squirrels during the small game season with a small game license, with a pellet gun .17 cal or larger, is legal. As far as the woodpecker, the answer to the question is, “I am not sure", as I am checking out the permit/permission issue as it pertains to building damage; again, nowhere near any city limits. I will take my question elsewhere, as it was specific to suggestions on air rifle capabilities – not a legal or ethical dissection topic.

I purchased a Gamo pellet rifle for my son not that long ago.

I believe it shoots 1300 fps with the alloy pellets. This is a .17 not not a 22 cal pellet gun.

We took it and shot it at a 3/4" cedar board and it blew the pellet right through that board. We then put another next to it and it almost cleared that board also at approx 25 yards.

This is a single shot with a scope and it is very accurate and no doubt it would take down a squirrel.

I would have to ask him the model as I do not remember which it was but it is a great pellet gun.

I believe it runs about $260 on Gamo's HSOforum but I found the exact rifle on Amazon for approx $150.00.

Fun thing to play with also. may be a bit small to take saquatch down though. grin

I did alot of research of the pellet rifles and Gamo does have a few issues with some models but the feedback on this model was very good or positive.

I bought a single shot .17 air rifle for my sons several years ago. Shoots 600 fps and has no problems on taking down the quarry within 25 yards.

I agree with everything Harvey said. Shop around and you can find better deals on air rifles.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. For a price, you can find an air rifle that will shoot 1800-2000 fps and is lethal beyond 50 yards.

I stand corrected then. So this is at your hunting cabin then? I suggest a .22 rifle or a 410 shotgun if you are hunting then and / or dispatching them. If you are really wanting a squirrel gun that can extend your range I strongly endorse the 17 hmr caliber. I would not hunt anything with an air rifle, half hearted pest control yes, but if you are hunting them at least buy a 22 rifle to ensure a clean kill. I am sure a 17 caliber air rifle can kill a squirrel with a great shot, but a prety bad 22 shot will kill them too. I have a buddy in Iowa , in the country, who shoots grackles with his pellet gun every spring off of his deck. At 25 yards he has some that survive.

As far as the woodpecker, the answer to the question is, “I am not sure", as I am checking out the permit/permission issue as it pertains to building damage; again, nowhere near any city limits. I will take my question elsewhere, as it was specific to suggestions on air rifle capabilities – not a legal or ethical dissection topic.

All woodpeckers are federally protected, and you will be asked to exhaust all non-lethal methods and document it before getting a permit issued. Been there done that. Downfalls of having a log cabin.

As far as the rifles go, I'm on my 3rd different .17 single pump; none of the 3 have held a zero worth a [PoorWordUsage]. Looking into .22 cal CO2 models now. Your other option is look into Aquila Cobri .22lr rounds. They are subsonic and travel at roughly 500 fps. I shoot them through my Marlin 39A lever gun .22. Plenty of energy to take care of what ever pests you have. They work really well for urban rabbit control allegedly.

I don't know what your budget is, but shooting .22s is pretty cheap with cheap ammo, heck if I was going to want similar performance out of a pellet gun, I'd be spending more per pellet than per cheap .22 round.

I use my gf's mom's jr sized .22 bolt action to down squirrels. I'm not the best shot with open sights, but I'm not a bad shot, and it shoots better than I do... that's all I ask from any gun.