• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

German Wirehairs

tbone4

Nothing in MN, but a few in WI. I've dealt with Greg and Liz Dixon of Backwoods Wirehairs over by River Falls for years. They've been in wirehairs for 3 decades and have some amazing dogs. They do cater to trial dogs, with great success, but have vast knowledge of the breed and many contacts if you're looking for a close working companion. Greg has a great line of dogs with incredible ability. If he doesn't have a litter that works for you, I know he will put you in touch with a litter that will. He directed me to St. Croix wirehairs which breeds a closer working dog. Great dogs with incredible temperaments, coats, and ability. Both breeders are great folk that will help you find the dog you're looking for. Bruce and Sue Mueller own St. Croix Wirehairs and are extremely active in the TCGWPC.

Reminds me...we might be ready for another!

I'm with gixxer. I personally do not know of wirehair breeders in Minnesota (although I'm sure there are a few). I picked up my GWP from Top Shelf Kennels in Horace, which is about 10 minutes south of Fargo in North Dakota. I also know there are a few more reputable breeders further west in Nodak. Do your research and you'll find what you're looking for. Just a tip: Ask about temperament. I singled out Top Shelf because I'd heard from several sources that he had very laid-back dogs with no lack of hunting desire. After two hunting seasons over Remy, I can attest to the validity of those statements!

Check the Twin Cities German Wirehaired Pointer Club HSOforum. There is a page devoted to MN area breeders. I agree with the above post, temperament and ability should be your major concerns as these are the only traits that make this breed beautiful! LOL!

Hi tbone4,

We raise, train, hunt, show, and judge German Wirehaired Pointers. We are just north of cosmos. We have a litter due at the end January they will be ready 8 weeks after they are born. This litter is of supreme bloodlines, proven hunters and temperament. Sire is a South Dakota guide dog/ Drahthaar (ACE) has passed his first vdd testing, Dam (Granite) has the most sensitive nose of any dog I have seen, she is a International Champion and Multi National Grand Champion. The litter will be akc registered, stress tested, gun conditioned, pointing wings, exposed to live birds and retrieving. [Note from Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank You] Heather

I researched this project for a year, just because somebody is having a litter don't feel that you'll miss out on a pup. You'll have this dog along time make sure you get what you want. Also I went thru the NAVHDA old scores from the previous year and found whose dogs were winning and where they were falling down on their scores. That will tell you alot about the line(coat, swimming, tracking, etc). Any dog can have it's day, but scores do tell the tale.

I checked with most of the above breeders on things, finally chose Griffith Kennels, Sioux Falls.

My dog isn't 2 years old yet and out of her litter there were 5 NAVHDA Levels Prize 1's, 2 AKC Senior Titles, and 1 AKC Junior title.

Both parents have AKC Master Titles and NAVHDA VC Titles, it doesn't stop there.

For me it was worth the wait, Dan and Cathy are great to work with. So choose carefully. Good luck.

I also have a dog from Jeff Paules at Thunderhills in Superior, WI. Great dog. Mark Reinhart has several dogs from Thunderhills line that he breeds and he is in TC. Also very strong. Someone earlier mentioned Top Shelf and I have heard very good things about his lines. Don't worry if they are MN breeder or not---just find the right dog for you.