• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cabelas Alkanak Tent

muskiemanAD

Was thinking about getting a new tent for fall hunting trips and using it a few times for summer camping. Was wondering if anyone has used one and had a comment or two. I have read plenty of the online reviews but wanted to get a opinion or two here. (Would have put in camping forum, but not much traffic there)

I have friends who have these tents and they are fantastic. Use them for summer fishing trips and fall hunting trips. If you are going to heat don't buy the cabelas stove. There is a guy in Zimmerman who makes a much better stove for same price as cabelas. He calls them 2 dog, 3 dog, and 4 dog stoves. If you buy a 12x12 buy the 3 dog. If you buy the bigger tent go for the 4 dog. Also buy the optional vestibule but skip the floor and just buy a carpet remnant.

I bought a used one from another HSO member this past fall. 12x12. Yes, it is heavy but I thought it set up pretty easy for the size. Our first time setting it up was by truck headlight.

We were wondering if we'd like it over using a pop up camper. For the most part, yes we do. Very spacious for two and four people would be just fine. It's nice to be able walk around in a full upright position. We each had cots with a bathroom floor mat to keep our toes comfy when they hit the floor in the morning. I would get a vestibule to keep your boots outside.

I read the reviews before I bought it and they're spot on for the most part. We got what we expected and are happy with the purchase. Buying it used did save a lot of $$ though. Here's a shot of the initial set up with an easy up as a vestibule.

full-17997-15606-dscn3684.jpg

And a liberal use of space inside.

full-17997-15608-dscn3685.jpg

I have friends who have these tents and they are fantastic. Use them for summer fishing trips and fall hunting trips. If you are going to heat don't buy the cabelas stove. There is a guy in Zimmerman who makes a much better stove for same price as cabelas. He calls them 2 dog, 3 dog, and 4 dog stoves. If you buy a 12x12 buy the 3 dog. If you buy the bigger tent go for the 4 dog. Also buy the optional vestibule but skip the floor and just buy a carpet remnant.

This info is will be used... cool

Thanks arrrow and welcome to HSO!

Nice tent Wanderer grin I have hunted elk in CO with multiple Alaknaks in camp. We've all used the stoves from Cabelas and for the most part have been happy with them. The only issue we have is they don't hold heat all night, which isn't a huge problem for us as we just stoke it when we get up to P. The design is good, plenty of room for 3-4 guys with cots (as long as you have another tent for hanging out and eating). If you get the attachments for the center pole, you can hang your clothes and a lantern so they are out of the way.

As Wanderer has my Cabelas stove, I will be checking out the guy in Zimmerman before we head out to CO this fall.