• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris 550 classic fan cooled

tori's dad

Just purchased two 2002 Polaris 550 classics fan cooled- both with 1,000 miles on them and in like new shape- in doing some research on these models after the fact, I am seeing people posting on sled sites about these motors having mid range meltdowns for unknown reasons. Does anyone have this model sled and can you report your experience with these machines? Thanks in advance- Tony

Just purchased two 2002 Polaris 550 classics fan cooled- both with 1,000 miles on them and in like new shape- in doing some research on these models after the fact, I am seeing people posting on sled sites about these motors having mid range meltdowns for unknown reasons. Does anyone have this model sled and can you report your experience with these machines? Thanks in advance- Tony
Mid range meltdowns? You mean losing power or melting down a piston? I have an 2000 Sport Touring 550 2 up and love the power I get out of it but I mostly use it for pulling a porty ice fishing. A few times of year I take it out on the trails and I never seem to have any issues keeping up with the pack? Just ride the things and make up your own mind before worrying about something you really don't know yet. wink

I've heard of this issue too but have not heard of a sure fire solution. Most anytime a piston scores it is due to a lean condition caused either by too small of jets, incorrect needle height, intake boot leaks or leaking crank seals. Just to be safe you could raise the needles and/or go up a jet size for some insurance and peace of mind. Another thing you can do is never hold the throttle steady at any given speed. You will sacrifice some mileage but even at 3.50 a gallon its a lot cheaper than pistons and jugs.