• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Has anyone done the sled dog trips?

cavalierowner

I am seriously considering doing a sled dog camping trip. There are a number of outfitters up in Ely. Mostly I'm torn between a trip with my own sled and dog team or 2 people to a sled and you trade off mushing and riding. I am almost 63 and in fairly good shape, but I wonder if I could go all day with my own sled. I've been winter camping a number of times over the years and I'm fine with that part of it. I also tolerate the cold better than everyone I know.

Any input?

I think you would be better off with your own sled. Being a passenger gets boring and cold. My dad, who was older than you when I still had my sled dogs, would run his own sled when we'd go camping in the BWCA. Mike Stark, who contributes quite a bit in the BWCA forum, works for a mushing outfitter. Might want to pose the question to him on what he suggests. Good luck and be careful, the madness of running dogs is easy to get hooked on. Heroin would be cheaper.