• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lac Seul - Mahkwa

Gents,

I am new to this site but I am hoping I came to the right place. I am planning a trip to Lac Seul during July of this year. (22nd - 28th) I don't ice fish so I am spending my time learning as much as I can.

We are going for one reason and one reason only. Targeting as many big walleyes as we can.

I am hoping that some of you vets of Lac Seul, that have experience around the Mahkwa area, can answer some of my questions.

1. Big fish locations around that part of the lake. I have a paper map to reference and the chip for when I get there.

2. I know it is a lot of jig fishing but any tips on other proven techniques?

3. Any suggestions or advice is welcome?

Appreciated,

Welcome to the best site that I have found for great fishing info. I haven't fished that particular area, but have been on Lac Seul a number of times. You are right, jig fishing is always productive, but that time of year, rigging is productive. I am not personally a troller (at least not yet), but understand they can be taken that way pretty consistantly. One thing I have always enjoyed about Lac Seul is that you can pretty much do what you want, when you want, and still catch lots of fish.

I would say for certain, it is hard to predict (now) where the fish will be (then) considering water levels and weather that time of year. Last summer was hot and dry. The area we fish is just to the south of Mahkwa and in the spring, levels were normal. Went back in the fall and there was about 4 feet less. Still hammered them both times, but 4 feet seems like a mile.

If you scroll back a number of pages on the Canada site, you will find lots of information about Mahkwa and Lac Seul.

Study your maps, and dont forget that Navionics chip. Both are invaluable. Good luck and keep us posted to your results. Lots of guys are ice fishing now (except for me - skim ice at best here in Nebraska). I'm jacked for my spring trip already. Starting to get my tackle ready now. laugh

You have picked a great area of the lake to fish in my opinion.

You will not have to travel far at all to find nice fish. The area right out in front of the bay is what we call the white sands, and that all that it is...a great palce to troll crankbaits off the bottom of the lake...you might have to try differnt depth, but if the wind is blowing in there all day like it usually does, got out in the evening and get ready to have a good time! Very simple to do. Shad raps in any color work there time after time.

That time of the year most midlake structure and bars are good. Just hop around till you find them. We jig fish almost exclusively. Don't like rigging much since you hook them deeper. Have a buddy that likes trolling Raps alot and does good. Bottom bouncers and spinners work good with 1/2 a Gulp crawler if the water flattens out. Your Navionics chip is good for the boat route but don't trust it otherwise or your gonna wreck your motor.