• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Questions about spearing in Twin cities area

jvm1

Hi all, I'm new to spearing, did it once last year up in Lake Winni and I'm hooked. Is there any lakes in the cities area you recommend for spearing?

I was thinking Big Marine would be good since it's so clear.

What's a good place to find some decoys? I don't have any yet and would like to get a few.

Any other things I should keep in mind? Any advice to a newbie is appreciated.

geez, where to start. as far as lakes big marine could be fun. at least you'll get lots of looks. some big ones too. for decoys i'd start with a big sucker on a harness. many might disagree with me but i love watching a live minnow. make sure your house is nice & dark. find a weed flat in 8-12fow, set your minner down 5ft & stay quiet & still. and thats pretty much spearing 101!

Got me an ice saw already, just need some tips on lakes to check out. Is there a point where there is just too much ice for an ice saw? Like I said, only did it one weekend and the resort had the houses ready for us so I've never even made my own hole yet.

almost no limit to amount of ice you can cut as long as you have tongs. as far as lakes to try around the east metro, big carnelian, big marine, chisago, green and n. & s. lindstrom would probably be worth a try. or just hop on the mn dnr's lake finder site, find a small lake with good clarity & a good pike population, & give it a rip!