• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Do I Keep The Sunnies Off?

Here's my problem: I've been fishing a local metro lake. There are a million sunnies in it along with a decent number of crappies. While fishing, I have tried changing to minnows to keep the sunnies off. As I let my line down the sunnies are getting my minnow before I can get through the "cloud" of them half of the time. I am trying to target the crappies. Any ideas of what will better attract the crappie and less often attract the sunnies? I like sunnies, but want a shot at crappies.

Try using plastics, 2 inchers or so. The sunnies will just peck at it without getting a solid hold, and if you work it moderately aggressive than you should be able to weed out the crappies. Sunnies will often times dominate a certain area(s) and will have the upper hand on the crappies, they will "bull" around the crappies and beat them to the bait, even the small sunnies will do that. Kamikaze fish. smile.gif Another thing to try is small spinners, like a beetle spin type, they always work well on crappies more so than those pesky little sunnies.

Are you fishing the weeds?

If you are, than I would pull off the weeds and fish the open water basin or mid-depth structure for crappies. Those little sunnies will hold around the weeds all summer long to stay in the cover, the large crappies will move out and roam different areas. Sure, some of the crappies will still stay in the weeds, but I've found my bigger slabs to be roaming deeper water this time of year.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

[This message has been edited by Matt Johnson (edited 07-18-2004).]

This might be interesting? It's equivelent to trying to keep Piranahs from biting!

Hey, try the same method I've heard that the South American ranchers use, when they want to cross an infested river... they bleed one of their cattle and send it across first...the Piranahs go after that one and they bring the others across down stream of it.

Here's the deal, get yourself a bloody steer...just kidding. Don't throw any bloodied cattle in the lake, but maybe a hand full of corn, or crushed egg shells would work to draw them off?

Sunfish can be relentless. I know those sunnies can just about drive a guy to the shakes. Something I have noticed though is that if the crappies are accompanied by sunfish, they (crappies)will almost always be under the others. Try casting long and well away from where the fish are congregated the heaviest and allow the bait to drop to the bottom and then jig it up thru the school of fish. Those larger crappies will be first in line then. And you will most probably find the larger crappies situated on the edges of the school while the smaller crappies are entertaining the sunfish. As Matt has inferred....stay away from live bait and use plastics of two, even three, inches. Sunfish like bright baits too, so use a subdued, more natural colored plastic.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
Catch-n Tackle
[email protected]

Good ideas. I am fishing out in 15-18 feet and the sunnies are 3-9 feet down and I'm marking other fish within 2 feet of the bottom (I assume my beloved crappie). I will try a small jig and a small tail or Gulp "bites" after casting out past the ever waiting schools of sunnies. I like catching and eating them, but after an hour I'm ready to move on. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Sounds like a Bald Eagle Lake phenomeneon.

Like they said, and I must agree, baitless is the key, with a bigger presentation.

Fishing that deep, I'd even vertical jig the babies, and at that rate, you could put on a split shot and shoot through the Sunnies to where the Crappies are holding at, and jig just above them.

Done it a few times in similiar situations.

Good luck Dave. smile.gif

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]