• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where's the best pike fishing in Alaska?

My wife and I have visited Alaska several times to fish for big pike. We've boated down the Yukon river, fishing many streams and rivers running into it with great success. Also camped at the Kiyu Flats and caught great pike there. My question is, where is the best place in Alaska to catch numbers of big pike? Thank you in advance.

some where up north in the interior. all the pike any where south of fairbanks are not much to talk about. not big in size and biggest will be maybe around 10 lbs. up here they are "Carp" your able to take them and leave them on the bank or shoot them with bows or do what ever you want with them. ur not supposed to put them back in most lakes. so chances of them getting really big are slim. And i was wondering why you would go all the way to alaska for big pike? why not minnesota. if ur comming up here i would be fishin salmon

If you've been down the Yukon and fished any of the tribs and back waters I really think you've been in some of the best waters for size and numbers in the state. There's a guy from MN here that runs (or at least use to) Midnight Sun Adventures and specializes in big pike in the Yuk backwaters. They take so long to reach trophy size up there but they are there. Minto Flats outside of FB has some big pike too. The largest I've seen in the Bristol Bay area is about 15-16 lbs.

As mentioned- there are probably better pike waters in Canada such as Wallaston Lake and surrounding areas along with the McKenzie River area of Northwest Territories and perhaps even some of our waters in MN. The other thing that stands out is the fact that some Canadian pike waters will cost you a fraction of the money to get to compared to AK pike. BUT, there's no experience like Alaska in terms of scenery, wildlife, and a dozen other factors. You're lucky to know that already!