• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Late season Archery hunt

lungdeflator

I'm not going to speak on behalf of Strat, but the 1st week of the archery season offers up a great chance of patterning/killing the best bucks in your area. I've seen the best deer my property has to offer two consecutive years now during this time. I'm sure if I had standing beans or another preferred food source available in December, I'd probably have a great shot then as well.

I think ND opens Aug 29th in 2012 doesn't it Scoot? What a fine opportunity at taking a mature velvet buck!

That all makes good sense, Stick. If I had to pick a great time to pattern a big buck, it'd either be early or late. The rut, IMO, is not among the best times to pattern a buck. However, it's a great time to kill one. That being said, all other things being equal, I'll take the last half of Dec as my best chance at killing a gagger buck. Unfortuantely, the holidays cause real problems for me every year in that effort. It's getting tougher and tougher to get out and chase deer the last half of Dec. Why didn't somebody marriage, kids, and work would cause me so many problems then!?! laugh

Back when I was in college, I anticipated the Holiday break every year. I'd get about 5 days off between Christmas and New Year's and head up north and bowhunt in the snow and cold. I never did well on bucks but I did see quite a few deer. My latest was a big doe on Dec. 28th. I miss those days!

Strat, I'm curious- what, in your opinion, is the #1 time of year to "pattern and kill a big buck"?

Although I know that late season is without question a great time to pattern a buck, there is another time I prefer....

In my own experience without a doubt I would take the first two weeks of the archery season for a couple reasons.. Bucks are in bachelor groups, as they can be in late season, but by in large travel together moreso in early season. I can count two occasions where this has hepled me poke a hole in a mature buck. The little ones always come first, giving you the heads up that others may be following. Due to early season foliage it's often times harder to see deer coming and trimmed shooting lanes are often times the only shot you can get, the more notice I can get that a potential shooter is moving through the better. Also I believe that patterning is easier, deer are making extremely predictable movements from bed to feed, however, in the warmer months, water is a extremely valuable scouting tool, I have had alot of luck hunting water sources early season, and oftern times they will be at water well before shooting light fades. And if it's a seclueded water source all the better, the deer will feel very comfortable here as they have been for the last several months, a great place to kill a big buck. The one I shot in Sept. I actually shot while standing in the water source, about one hour before dark.

Another reason for my thoughts is the fact that I have had several months to scout and hang cameras as the bucks patterns are being set up, this gives me more time to hone in on a few different bucks, giving me options. LAstly the fact that the deer have seen no hunting pressure for 8.5 months makes the deer feel at ease, whereas late season deer have just endured 3 months solid months of hunting pressure.

Anyway, the above is just my opinion based on what I have experienced over the last how many years...but I will agree with you on your late season argument to a degree, but I just have a soft spot for those early season bucks!

NOt sure what is worse though, the bitter cold or the friggen gnats!

Good luck! I agree with most of the advice given. Once you scout and find the food source(s) and patterns, focus on keeping your feet, hands and head warm. To me, good boots and boot blankets, a hand muff with light gloves and facemask, hat and good gaitor are invaluable. I like late season hunting but prefer the early season and long sleeve t-shirts. grin

As far as staying warm the only item that is a must is a Heater Body Suit. You will never regret it!!! Less clothes to wear out to the stand so no sweating. Easier to draw and shoot. Whole body stays warm and dry for the moment of truth.

Very much agree with very early and very late season being almost equal in patterning big bucks except a lot less pressure in late season. Also agree that bucks are hard to pattern during the rut. Have to hunt does during the rut for your best bet at a shooter buck.

As far as time of day, you can't shoot a deer laying in bed! Make sure your wind is right for the spots you hunt and get in between food and bedding and the rest is the exciting part of hunting. Good Luck!!!

Lungdeflator: My brother has been bow hunting both Dakota's for quite a few years (very successfully with pope & young kills every year), and his best late season spots have been sitting on top of or in (actually makes a nest if the owner will allow it) bale lots/feedlots, which are normally around farmsteads with livestock operations. He said if the deer are yarding up due to snow or lack of food, they move toward feedlots with bale stacks. He got his NoDak buck in early September this year, but said that all the crops were out and the deer would be hitting the feedlots this year hard, so I'd try and find a farm that will let you hunt that has a big ol stack of bales sitting near a good looking bedding area. He said a bonus about bale hunting is that making a nest in bales also helps out for the warmth factor as well.

I'm jealous of him every year and cannot wait until I finally get my degree and get a job (hopefully!) that can offer me the opportunity to try and do some out of state hunting! Anyway, good luck when you get out there!

In my own experience without a doubt I would take the first two weeks of the archery season for a couple reasons.. Bucks are in bachelor groups, as they can be in late season, but by in large travel together moreso in early season. I can count two occasions where this has hepled me poke a hole in a mature buck. The little ones always come first, giving you the heads up that others may be following. Due to early season foliage it's often times harder to see deer coming and trimmed shooting lanes are often times the only shot you can get, the more notice I can get that a potential shooter is moving through the better. Also I believe that patterning is easier, deer are making extremely predictable movements from bed to feed, however, in the warmer months, water is a extremely valuable scouting tool, I have had alot of luck hunting water sources early season, and oftern times they will be at water well before shooting light fades. And if it's a seclueded water source all the better, the deer will feel very comfortable here as they have been for the last several months, a great place to kill a big buck. The one I shot in Sept. I actually shot while standing in the water source, about one hour before dark.

OK, gotcha. I incorrectly assumed you were referring to the rut, which I would definitely have disagreed with. I'd still pick late over early, but I certainly think you have a very valid argument with the early season.

There are two reasons I don't hunt as much in the early season: 1) mosquitos!!!, and 2) I always try to do something different and new-to-me in Sep regarding hunting. I can't stand skeeters and I don't like fighting them off. Related to this, I don't like using bug spray at all when I hunt. That being said, I've had excellent luck using a thermocell the past few years and that's realy made me more interested in the early season again. Also, I try to plan my big goof off trip in Sep. Whether it's a muley trip in Western ND or an elk trip somewhere or chasing moose in ND (this year), I try do a week or so long trip in the early season. Not only does that mean I'm gone for that amount of time, but it also means that I need to put in as much time as possilbe at home before and after that trip to keep my wife, kids, and work happy. So for me, I usually end up with pretty limited time in the early season, but at least it's for a good reason!

It sounds like the early season is working for you though! One important question- if you punch your tag in the first week or two of the season, what the heck do you do with all your time after that?!? smile Last year and the year before I filled my tag on Dec. 28th. For me, that's perfect! Two years ago I tagged a nice buck in the last 15 minutes of the last night I was able to sit for the year. I'd do it that way every time if I could. I love getting out in the woods and outdoors and it's great for me to hold off as long as possible so I can soak up as much time and experience as I am able to. I just can't get enough of it and tagging out early and not going as much would be tough on me.

It gets tough, but I got doe tags! Tough to pass up a 150 in Sept just because I want a buck tag all season. smile I live vicariously through all my bowhunting buddies! I hope to do an out of state archery hunt next season, so if I tag out early again (unlikely) at least I have that!

Absolutely agree with the rut sentiment....great time to kill a buck, a great time to pattern not so much!

Thanks for the advice and comments. I was hoping for more snow. Without the snow are they more apt to be spread out and not in traditional wintering areas? Ill be heading out there the 17th and staying through the 21st. My main plan was to look first at areas we find alot of sheds and then if they arent there, search for permission on fields they are feeding on. Do you guys go with snow camo or reg camo when hunting out of a tree late season?

Well looking at the weather there wont be any snow out there. And highs in the upper 20's, low 30's when I am there. Probably going to be very similar to September but without the crops. I was really hoping for at least really cold temps. Im thinking without the snow or cold it could be a real tough hunt.

Well almost ended it last night. Had a nice 8pt into 30 yards before him and some does got downwind and busted me. Its in the 40's here right now so Im not expecting to much movement tonight but you never no. Supposed to only be 22 tomorrow so maybe they will be moving in anticipation of colder temps.

You know that 2nd rut we all read about and some know about? I was out removing my ground blind and noticed about 7 or 8 new rubs in my area. Moved the blind anyway as this was after I trampled through and whacked a couple of grouse. You guys should get out there. I might go back with a stand next two weekends.