• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How is the ashtabula ice?

Just wondering if anyone has been out since this last weekend? The temps have been pretty cold at night. I heard that someone feel through on the jamestown resevoir. I will be up there this weekend and thinking about giving it a shot.

Quote:
JAMESTOWN (AP) - Authorities who have been searching for a man last seen ice fishing on the Jamestown Reservoir are bringing in a cadaver dog.

The dog was being provided Thursday by a Fargo-based river rescue squad.

Divers with the Jamestown Fire Department were unsuccessful again Wednesday in finding 49-year-old Darrin Ackermann of Jamestown, who did not return home Sunday evening after heading out to fish earlier in the day. Searches of shoreline and cabins in the area this week also have turned up nothing.

Fire Chief Jim Reuther tells The Jamestown Sun that authorities believe Ackermann fell through the ice. Sonar equipment might be brought in Friday if necessary.

How is the fishing on an average day versus peak periods? Can someone give me a broad overview of the lake, physical/chemical/fish? I will have to try ND Fish and Game as well. I understand it's a reservoir and depth is steeply changing in spots, a local gave me quite a long list of species in the fish community, it was pretty interesting if he was accurate, was talking about trout and walleye, muskies and bullheads. The walleyes I can confirm, saw a pile caught at the crossing. Might have to do a fall cast and blast the way it looked.

Fishing was pretty good this weekend. My dad and I went home with 6 eyes, a few perch and a crappie. Fished around the SE access at the crossing. We had to drill alot of holes and move around qauite abit but they were there in about 16 feet along the bottom of the break. There was about 10 inches of good black ice where we were. There were people south of the crossing driving all over the place. We threw back quite a few little eyes and missed about a half dozen fish also.

There maybe a few Tiger Muskies left in Ashtabula, but no pure muskies. Also there are no Trout in the lake.

The lake has the following fish

Walleye

Northern

Perch

Bullheads (TONS)

White Bass (Way too many)

Smallmouth Bass

Crappie

Blue Gill

Here is a link to the lake maps.

http://gf.nd.gov/fishing/lakedata.html

Early ice is your best chance for Walleyes. After mid Jan I mostly concentrate on perch. Most of the fish caught early ice are along the channel edges.

How is the fishing on an average day versus peak periods? Can someone give me a broad overview of the lake, physical/chemical/fish? I will have to try ND Fish and Game as well. I understand it's a reservoir and depth is steeply changing in spots, a local gave me quite a long list of species in the fish community, it was pretty interesting if he was accurate, was talking about trout and walleye, muskies and bullheads. The walleyes I can confirm, saw a pile caught at the crossing. Might have to do a fall cast and blast the way it looked.

Just wanted to inform the lake ashtabula ice fishermen ice conditions are not safe. I just got done retrieving my permanent house this morning after trying the last three days with no sucess. Monday morning i had 12'' of solid good ice by tuesday afternoon i had a 30 foot open circle around my house with the house actually floating on the 3'' thick piece of ice under the house. Finally today with a couple 20' plank and alot of man power we got it up on solid ice and off the lake. If you have a permanent house on ashtabula i would highly suggest getting it off till we get a cold snap!