• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crappies on senkos

carlcmc

I haven't ever really fished for them intentionally this way, but the discussion below about upsizing reminded me. I was fishing for bass with the 5" senkos texas rigged weightless and with weight last year. Caught several 13-14" crappies that inhaled it. I was swimming it more than just letting it fall. I had a bullet weight clipped on in front and was swimming it in about 6-10' of water.

Yep, them big slabs will take bigger baits. Those are some nice fish, must have been a blast pulling in those pigs. Good post, I like to hear reports like this. I caught a few crappies on cranks in the past, when crappies are hungry, they will eat smile.gif

Anyone else have any reports about catching crappies with larger baits?

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Years ago I work a back-channel in the Mississippi river backwaters near Wabasha (remember my telling you of this place Matt?) and would troll #11 and 13 rapalas on three ways thru there in the early morning for walleyes. More often than not the fish that hit were crappies! 12", 13", and 14"ers would absolutely pound these baits. Do not discount the open water craps. They will hit, and aggressively so, much larger baits than you think. I know of people fishing northerns with 4 inch sucker minnows who catch crappies on them. As Matt said, when they want to eat, they can do so in a grand way.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
[email protected]

I got a 10 inch Crappie on a Reef Runner last year. I don't know what he was thinking hitting a 5 inch bait at 2.0 mph! Otherwise big shiners have supprised me and also tandem spinnerbaits for a suicidal crappies. If I get a Crappie casting a 10 inch suick for Muskie I am going to quit swimming in lakes altogether. smile.gifsmile.gif

My nephew caught a reeeally nice crappie on a small lake last year ice fishing.He was useing a decent size sucker.He had the fish weighed on a state scale right after he caught it.He was 1oz shy of a new state record.Not bad for a 13 yr old kid.He has it on the wall now,thing almost looks like a bass.Over 20" nose to tail.Some of you may have even ready a story on it in some of the local outdoor mags & papers.He was fishing just north of Harris.I didn't think he was going to get it through the 8" hole,but he did !I now fish with VERY LARGE fatheads.

------------------
Greg

I love reading such stories! Gives me some great ideas. Were these caught from a boat or from shore? I'll hafta see what I can do with my miriad of small cranks and medium sides plastics.