• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Concussions

hockeybc69

Back then there was checking from mites on up. You need to teach your players how to check and take a check starting in mites. Start with going through the hands, to rubbing them out, to shoulder to shoulder and so on. Sticks on the ice when checking!!!. This keeps the elbows down and reduces the chance of head contact. Starting at a young age and teaches good habits and should help versus waiting until they are 11 or 12 and all they wanting to do is cream someone.

Great points fishingtech. Now try and convince MN hockey to repeal what they changed last year by removing checking from Peewees. Now they are 14/15 when they experience their first full contact hockey. I dont like it one bit....

Hey Bear,

Impossible for me to remember if checking from behind was prevelent or not. Just too long ago for me to recall.

But since the new rules were put in place on Jan 25th for a major penalty for boarding and checking from behind, there sure have been a lot of calls in my sons games.... Pretty eye opening. Not sure how long its going to take for these kids to learn, but I have witnessed some god awful checking from behind penalities since Jan 25th.

On Jan 26th the opposing team at my sons game had 3 checking from behind majors in the first period alone. One of those had the added 10 minute misconduct. On that check, the kid was down for several minutes. He was hit by not one kid, but 2 kids at the same time and both used their hands to push off upon the hit.

for the sake of argument, the checking from behind though is a bigger worry for other injuries including concussions. And we all are very aware of what the other injuries can be.

PS - my son has been back playing and hasnt had any ill effects. He did take a head contact this weekend and then proceeded to be taken off his feet and hit hte back of his head on the ice..... We quizzed him hard and everything seems good. Thank God....

What coaches really need to do is teach kids that hitting a only part of the game, not what the game is about. It seems like these days, in almost every level, half the players would rather go for that big hit (regardless of legality) than score a goal. It's a little disturbing that some people find more glory in try to hurt others than win the game.

Hey Bear,

Impossible for me to remember if checking from behind was prevelent or not.

Come to think of it, they probably just didn't call it. I sure as heck remember geting drilled from behind in PeeWees. Broke my collar bone and was out for 8 weeks, no penality on the call. It's been 20 years and I am still looking for that kid, watch your back #16 because Bear has your number.