• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

savage 212 slug gun...

I'm looking into getting a savage 212 camo slug gun just wondering if anybody has one and what you like or don't like about it. I plan to use for bear hunting and putting a red dot I have on it. I hope to shoot lightfield slugs if they group well, I like the larger size slug and weight they offer.

Thanks

I have this very gun. All in all I have beeen happy with it. The big advantage of bolt action is the increased rigidity improves accuarcy. The stock on a this gun is designed for using optics which allows your cheek to be solid on the stock when using optics, makes sighting in and testing different slugs much more pleasant than the typical bird gun with a slug barrel swapped in place of the smooth bore which tends to smack your face with each shot..

I put a 2x7 Leopold rifleman scope on mine and have shot good groups with a variety of sabot slugs. I ended up stocking up on the Hornaday SST slugs for there accuracy and range. The trigger is good not great, but a lot better than most shotgun triggers.

This shotgun is a Savage and the fit and finish is a little lacking. On one of my first trips to the range I broke one of the extractors. It still worked with one extracter It was a about a $12 fix took ten minutes. The safety is a three position tang mounted safety which should be only two positions as it does not lock the bolt in any position. The gun weighs about as much a steel receivered semi auto so it is a little heavy. (This does help with felt recoil though.)

For someone who wants a dedicated slug gun this is good gun.

purchased a 220 last year its a 20 gauge ,had to order it ,they flew off the shelves last year and still are !theres a reason ,mine likes 3 inch federal barnes expander sabots no issues with mine ,only thing is when you get a scope you need a long action style .thinking of getting a 212.

Got the 212 in black this year, was too cheap to pay the extra $50 for the camo. I also like the 3" Federals with the Barnes Expanders. Didn't shoot a deer with it this year. Took two shots, but both were quick shots at moving deer & I didn't connect.

My safety completely locks the bolt when it's in the full safe position.