• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Helmets for children 4,6 and 9

erikwells

Dad just bought a snowmobile. It will be used mainly for getting us icefishing and moving our gear. However I'm sure I'll pull my boys around in a sled and take them for a cruise now and again. That said I need helmets for my dudes. Any suggestions on what to look for and where? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg however I don't want to put an eggshell and a rubberband on their heads either. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Your snowmobile helmet fit is critical to the comfort and enjoyment of your helmet. It also plays a critical role in the performance of your helmet in the event of a collision. Never wear a snowmobile helmet without making sure you have a proper snug fit (not too tight, and not too loose – just right!) There are several methods and tricks to size a snowmobile helmet. We recommend the following methods once your helmet has arrived;

Not too tight!

Once you have your new snowmobile helmet in hand, put the helmet on by grasping the chin strap in each hand and pulling it on over your ears until you feel the top portion of the motorcycle helmet touch. Check for the following red flags: A. The snowmobile helmet immediately feels too tight. B. Your head does not touch the top of the snowmobile helmet. C. You can’t pull the helmet down over your ears. D. It’s painful in any way. If any of these apply, you probably need the next size larger.

Not too loose!

Once you have found a snowmobile helmet that feels comfortable and snug, you must make sure that it is not too loose. To do this, securely fasten the chin strap, grasp the helmet chin bar or sides firmly with one hand and try to move the helmet from side to side and up and down. If the snowmobile helmet slides on your skin and hair, it is too large. If your scalp and skin want to move with the helmet, the fit is about right.

Just Right!

One final check. Reach back to the back of the snowmobile helmet and try to rotate the helmet as far down and forward as possible, then as far backward as possible. If the snowmobile helmet feels as if it might slide off in either direction, the snowmobile helmet is either too big or the chin strap was not securely fastened.

Congratulations! If you passed these tests, you now have a properly fitting helmet that will maximize safety and minimize wind noise as well!

I asked this question a few weeks back myself for my 3 yo daughter.

I went to Moon Motorsports in Monticello one afternoon with her and had her try on helmets. They have a nice selection of different sizes/styles and I was able to have her try on both closed face and also motocross style. I was thinking she'd prefer the mx style due to the more open face, but she actually liked the closed face. I want to think the one that fit her (can't remember the brand off hand) was around 70 bucks....but that also came with the anti-fog lens...(where some of the ones at like a fleet farm you'd have to buy it separately)

I also went to Shadetree in Big Lake, but there prices were about the same. Plenty of helmets to try on though.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but she'll get one for xmas. I was surprised how "big" her head was with the baclava.....youth medium

Good luck with the search!

Steve

I'm not sure of the best place to go near ER. I'd just check various motorsports stores in the area. I bought my last helmet at Bob's cycle in St. Paul. Make sure you bring the mask or balaclava that they will be wearing with to the store. I wouldn't spend more than $100 that's for sure, but do make sure that you get the double pane shield if you go with a full face helmet. Once you get them set up, then they can start playing the hand me down game as they grow out of their current size. Wouldn't be horrible to let them know that up front, so all 3 don't expect new helmets every couple years.