• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

# line

huckleberry

I've done just fine with 2 or 4 pound test. I know a lot of people will tell you to strictly use 2 pound test, but for open water I've found 4 pound to be my top choice. Ice fishing is a different story. You can cast small jigs better with 2 pound test, but for an overall panfish rod (bobber fishing, jigging, tossing...), I would use 4 pound test. I haven't noticed a difference between 2 and 4 pound test when it comes to productivity of catching fish, I've used both head to head on some of my rods and my fishing partners, and both catch fish.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Matt has it dialed. I guess that I'd consider skill level before venturing into the two pound arena. Anyone can fish it, but break-offs will be a regular occurance if you do not know how to balance your tackle....rod to reel to line. And I'll mention again, if you are going to use this line for bobber fishing do not use flourocarbon line. It sinks and will lay a terrible belly underwater between the rod and the bobber making hooksets unlikely. A good four pound will handle very large fish if you are patient.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
[email protected]

Well Said guys I lost the biggest crappie of my life on medicine lake a few years ago trying to lift it into the dock with 2 lb test. A mistake made cause I under estimated the crappie and overestimated the strenght of the line. 4 is the way to go

With 2# you really need to set your drag properly, to play the fish, and you really can't horse the fish around if it's big, a net is also handy wink.gif I know I was lucky to have 4# on my rod last year, while crappie fishing, I had 4 big bass hit the little jig 2 of them still got the jig from me. The 2 bass I did manage to land went a good 4#s. I fish 4# and it works for me.

I used to use 2# on a long whippy Crappie rod, and lost a lot of jigs. With my old eyes, I don't think I could tie a knot in it anymore. Now my lightest is 4# Berkley XL. A couple years ago, one of my sons found a bunch of big Crappies in the bullrushes and had to resort to 8# to drag them out, otherwise they would wrap up in the weeds and he would lose them.

i've always loved the 2 # solar XT, but since they stopped making it i have gone to the 4#.( yes they stopped making that too, but i have a bunch in storage). i can't see the clear( ok ; so i am getting old!!) i do keep a spool of 6 # with me for times when i get into them in the weeds and need a little more strength. i have tried other lines , but wasn't impressed with them. del