• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rod and reel combo

safe ice

I'm looking for some good advice on what kind of rod and reel to get for summertime crappies and sunnies. I mainly ice fish and haven't done much summer fishing so I need all the help I can get.Trying to stay under a hundred bucks for the combo if that helps.

I would go with an all-purpose rod that measures in the 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 feet and weigh only 2 to 4 oz.A fast action rod with either graphite composition or a high-quality fiberglass rod.The guides and tip should be lined with aluminum oxide,silicon carbide or some other hard material.

To determine whether your reel matches the rod,balance the rod on your finger,just ahead of the reel.If the outfit is properly balanced,the rod will rest in the horizontal position.
Also you want the tip to be flexible for the sensitivity issues.They work best for detecting strikes and setting the hook.

I try to find rod and reel combo's in the 70 to 90 dollar range but sometimes i will splurge on the rod for sensitivity issues.
To each their own.I bought 30 dollar combos for years.You can get 3 rods and reels for around 100 dollars.

Good Luck in which ever rod and reel you buy.

CrappieMagnet

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 03-31-2004).]

From what I hear CrappieTom makes a very nice rod, and being a crappie expert he knows what a fisherman wants in a crappie rod.

CrappieMagnet knows his stuff too. There are a lot of crappie rods out there to choose from, ranging anywhere from $20 all the way to $250 or more. All depends on what you want to spend and what you like. I would take some time and look around, weigh your options and make sure that you equip your rod with a balanced reel. I like Tica reels for my crappie rods, but I've also used Shimano and Quantum.

Another thing, I personally like a one-piece rod, a lot of the rod and reel combos you will buy for crappies will be two-piece rods. I buy my rods and reels separately so that I can find exactly what I want.

The open water crappie season is starting, time for some fun!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

[This message has been edited by Matt Johnson (edited 03-31-2004).]

I like a rod where when I jig the rod tip doesn't bounce around, a lot of the ultralites will bounce when you shake the rod or jig. A nice well-tuned light action rod is a good choice. I like the 6 foot, allows for better casting and a fast action tip. A cork handle, 6 foot, light action spinning rod is a good choice. One of the rods I use weighs 2.35 ounces. A very sensitive rod.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Here we go again.....LOL. Rods are like dogs....they come in all sorts of sizes and shapes. The bottom line is that one rod will never suit everyone. Personally, I use either a 6' one piece or a 6'6" one piece, both in ultra-light ( the whippy tops that Matt doesn't care for). They are rated for 1/32 to 3/16 ounce lures and lines from 1 to 4 pound test. The have cork handles. Too stiff in the tip and you will be working harder getting the rod to load when you cast the tiny stuff than you need to be. As far as strength goes, I get into the toothies (including muskies) every spring with many of them being in the teens for weight. large and small mouth bass are no sweat either. I carry a minimum of four rods when I fish, two of each length. Being a builder, I make my own using either St.Croix SCiii or Pacific Bay blanks. Either will run about 125.00 dollars. My rods are a "CrappieTom signiture series" rod. Hookedonfishing can offer rods to order for slightly less.Custom rods offer much more than the commecial rods...they are constructed around each blank with the placement of the guides where they should be and not built for uniformity. I don't think a 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 foot rod is a good choice for much more than crawling in the weeds looking for trout. Casting is laborsome with short rods and they do not offer the length to really "play" a fish. Like I said, there are as many pros and cons when it comes to rods as there are desiogns in snowflakes. If you'd like more information regarding custom rods, drop me an e-mail at the site below.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
[email protected]

I would'nt recommend to someone just starting out fishing from ice to open water to purchase a 6' or larger rod.I would go with something shorter until he gets used to the shorter than go larger.He's also trying to stay under a 100 bucks.The shorter rods still get the crappies in the boat,it's just how you play em out....

Just my .o2 cents worth.

CM

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 04-02-2004).]

Much has been said about the vast assortment of panfish rods. Remember a quality matching reel is just as an important decision to make when putting a combo together. Over the years I have owned over a dozen light weight open face spin cast reels, Shimano's and Daiwa's mostly, ranging in price. My new choice is an upper end reel at a mid range price. That would be Okuma. I now have two Metaloid's and two Trophy Pro's TP15. I am very impressed with the quality of these reels and have not regretted those purchases. Either reel accomodates any panfish rod and supports a silky smooth drag. They balance any rod I have attached them to.
I use only ultra ultra weight equipment and over the years, used the ultra short rods up to the seven footers in a variety of weights. My next rod will be an 8 foot noodle rod in the two fly rod weight range.
With that weight and lenght, can snap out the smallest jig quite a distance. Even with a little bow in the line, when one raises an 8 foot rod into the air, instant hook set. Nothing more fun to see and feel the bend in a rod while reeling in a fish no matter what size. To each their own when it comes to equipment, but then a guy can never have too many rods and reels.

What about that 12' extendable "crappie Pole"??????????

Just kidding.

I love my 4 ultralites in different lengths. Tennessee Stick 5.5' and Fenwick HMX 6.5, but my favorite is an HMX Fenwick 6', with a great reel: The Shimano 500 spirex or TX. I know a reel is not that big of an issue either, but these reels have been good to me.
Do yourself a favor and buy a good 1 piece rod. Don't go two piece.

My 2 cents.

God Bless
decoy

[This message has been edited by decoy (edited 04-02-2004).]

Hey don't laugh, those extendables have a time and a place also. I have considered gettng one, since I shore fish a lot. There are conditions where dabbling with a straight up and down presentation through pockets in lilly pads and wood might be the only way to go since you can't cast into them. The europeans have used them successfully for years and have outfished rod and reel fisherman. Talk about extendable, some of theirs go out 50 feet.
The materials they use are not cheap and can easily exceed the price of a conventional rod and reel combo. Like I said, just another toy and I like panfish toys.

When I'm fishing crappies with livebait that slip bobber can be a long way down, and I really like my 7 1/2 foot with a real fast tip. It helps me set the hook when I cast a rig like that away from the boat, and it's light action so they feel like whales. I use a Shimano Spirex 1000 reel with 4lb test. Anything less can't hold up to the weeds that they always get tangled in.

If I'm jigging then I'm with most of the rest of you, a little 5 1/2 footer with the same reel works well.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Longer length of rod is for casting and hooksets when you have an angle in your line, such as when using a bobber or lindy style rig.

If you're in a tight situation or jigging vertical (straight down from the rod tip) a 4.5' to 5.5' UL crappie rod will work fine.

Otherwise you want the 6' to 6.5' rods. In most cases an UL with a fast tip will server your purpose in most cases.

If you are getting into 1 lb or better crappies and tossing heavier lures/bait consistently, then a light rod with fast action will work a little better than the UL rods.

Personally, I like to work with a nicer rod. The CrappieTom Signature series is both versatile and high quality. A good rod will pay dividends in both length of use and sensitivity, making it more versatile and something you develop a feel for.

On the other hand as long as a reel is balanced with your rod, I prefer getting a new reel every one to two years and the less expensive reels work just as well as the more expensive reels when they're new (more often than not). Generally the overall cost ends up being a wash on reels.

I guess I'm saying, there are a lot of differant reels out there and most are pretty darn good. The price of the reel isn't as important as the drag and reel operation is out of the box. Bear in mind the more expensive reels are designed to take a longer work-out before efailing. Generally this has to do with the quality and number of ball bearings in the gutsd of the reel.

I have to say again, if youy want the rod of a lifetime for crappie fishing check out the "CrappieTom Signature Series" of rods.

I say this because I used them and they are the reel deal smile.gif

Someone sent an e-mail regarding a rod and information to me today and somehow I deleted the address and the sender. If you happen to read this, please do resend the e-mail. It just shows that as you get older , talking on the phone and reading your e-mail don't jive.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
[email protected]