• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you bed your kennel with??

BLACKJACK

My lab stays in an outside kennel, with the doghouse in my shed, she passes thru a doggy door to get to it. Shes a digger, whatever I put in her kennel, hay, cedar chips, old rugs, shes constantly turning it over, and getting all dusty in the process. I worry about her breathing in that dust all the time. New cedar chips work ok for awhile but after a couple of months they break down, get dirty and dusty, then she comes out all dirty and dusty again. My previous dogs would just make a little nest on top of their bedding and that was it, but not this one, she has to toss it and turn it.

What do you bed your dog house with?

I'm in the exact same situation and was just going to ask the same question.

I usually put canary grass in the kennel. It seems to work well, but by the end of winter there is grass all over the garage from refilling the kennel.

Just looking for a more commercial product that will last without making a mess or being chewed to pieces in a few weeks.

Looking forward to ideas. I just bought an insulated house and a big bag of cedar chips for bedding. Tomorrow is the maiden run for using the house for my younger beagle that can sometimes drive us a little crazy. His house will be in small kennel he'll sometimes use during the day when we have company an such. I can see that knucklehead tossing the cedar chips all around too.

Does anyone use a heated pad for their dog? I'm considering that too but he likes to chew so I may even invest in one of those hound heaters instead.

A couch a bed or the floor for mine,:) but if you use wood chips, switch to MARTH EASY PIC bedding. It is a pine product, cut very small and washed. Hardly any dust at all. It is about the same price and you will love how clean your dog or pups will be. Then I would use grass hay for a top coat out side. A light bulb in a coffee can heater is supposed to be a great thing as well I hear for out side dogs. Maybe someone can explain how to make one on here. I guess it is easy and works well. EASY PIC, can be found at Mills fleet farm in many locations. You will never use cedar or another again.

My dog is spoiled and sleeps inside but what about a bag of the rubber mulch used for landscaping? not dusty, should be durable, not sure how warm or comfortable it is though, maybe mix it in to lessen the dust ect. make sure to get quality rubber with no metal in it of course!