• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Puppy Training

CrappiesNCats

I'm no expert, its been over 5 years since I've dealt with pups or training. I just brought home my pup two nights ago. We are doing very short sessions on very basics (name). Any recommended books for basic dog training?

books/videos for upland training? when to start? I'm no expert, my last dog genetics did the work, but I want to do a better job this time around

No disrespect Rick but there lots of better resorces out there today than Gundog. Not that it's going to hurt reading it but it sure isn't a "program" I would follow.

Bill Hillmans "Training a retriever Puppy" is the best out there for puppy training up to 6 monthes, then I recommend Stawski's "fowldog Series" very affordable and easy to follow.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Todd, he said he would be hunting upland game. I didn't see waterfowl or labs mentioned. If I had read the books you mentioned I may have recommended them. I don't know.

I'm guessing, based on your dislike of it, you must have read Gundogs for a reason.

It has given me a number of tips that worked well for a number of puppies that hunt upland species including labs. I must admit I didn't have my lab on a program though.

I'm certainly no expert.

To me the best way to learn is to get out there with guys who know their stuff. smile

The Wolters stuff is really outdated, and yes I have read it, I don't dislike it but wouldn't reccomend it either. You have to realise most people are not going to go out and buy a library of training information, they will buy one piece and try to follow it, I just listed the information that is up to speed and current. I believe in following a proven program, building a strong foundation to build on, makes no difference if your training a FT HT or a gun dog, they all start out the same. The materials I listed are DVD's

Quote:
To me the best way to learn is to get out there with guys who know their stuff.

Agreed every chance I get I try to train with different pro's and good AM. trainers, theres always two ways to do something...;